Saturday, December 22, 2007

What Tire Spells

After opening gifts at my in-laws last night, Rollie was sitting around the table with Todd, Todd's father, and Todd's brother Lyle and his wife. Rollie was playing with a Cars drawing tablet that included pencils, crayons, paints, and stickers. It also has a workbook section, where he can practice writing and spelling.

Rollie was trying to sound out and write the word "Tire," with Todd's help.

"T . . . ," Rollie said, looking at Todd for help.
"Sound it out," Todd said. "What sound does T make?"
Rollie: "Tuh."
Todd: "Okay, 'tuh.' Then, 'I.' What sound does 'I' make?"
Rollie: "Ih."
Aunt Denise: "Long 'I' sound, Rollie."
Rollie: "I."
Todd: "Right. Ok, 'R.' What sound does 'r' make?"
Rollie: "Ruh."
Todd: "Right. So, put it together." Rollie looks like his brain is
hurting.
Todd: "Sound it out. Tuh - I- Ruh. Tigh-ruh.
Rollie stares at Todd with a look of concentration on his face, then
realization dawns. "Tigh- roll! Roll Tide, Roll! Right down the toilet
bowl!"


Nobody in my in-laws' household was about to tell him for a second that he was wrong. We just laughed.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me 'bout it, Stud. . .

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter