Thursday, September 28, 2006

Hurtling through Space with a Toddler

This parenting thing just gets more and more difficult. I feel like more of a control freak than Kyra Phillips' sister-in-law, with constant correction of grammar and reminders for "Thank you," "Your welcome," and "Yes m'am" and "No m'am." The adage "Give them an inch and they'll take a mile?" That was undoubtedly first said by a parent of a toddler, and that parent was spot on. There is a sense that I am constantly hanging on by a thread of control, that failure to correct one little rudeness, or to nip a tantrum in the bud before it starts will send us all flying off into space like Lee Adama on Battlestar Galactica, the Editors' "You are Fading" as my soundtrack.

Then the kids start Mommies Morning Out or preschool. No longer do you have that constant control, the Mama chain of command, the Daddy Judge and Jury and Executioner. There is a period of the day where your child could suddenly take up crack or prostitution, and you would miss that oh-so-important first transgression lesson. Suddenly, your child is playing with children you've never met (Jacksons and Ezras and Ethans and lots and lots of Jacobs and Aidens,) and whose parents you have simply nodded hello to in a hallway with fluorescent lights. Your eldest is suddenly playing with younger siblings, boys schooled in the ways of Yu-Gi-Oh! - Whatever the fuck that is; You have no idea, because you have not yet encountered it, or half of the other stuff that comes out of your son's mouth.

We are still at the point where we play Matchbox cars. The most violent thing that happens to them is a "boom!" or a "big, biiiiig crash!" We are a no hitting, no biting, no kicking, no pushing household. All of these actions are met with swift punishment, and then we move on.

So, imagine my speechlessness when Rollie came home chanting something he had no doubt learned at school, because he sure as hell didn't learn it at home:

"Fight!Fight!Fight!" he yelled, with fire in his eyes and a fist raised high.

I wasn't even sure what to say. I told him that "fighting isn't nice. We don't fight." He yelled "Fight! Fight! Fight!" right in my face. I calmly told him again that it wasn't a nice thing to say. No need to raise my voice, or draw undue attention to my alarm - if there is anything a parent knows about toddlers, it is that you can't let them see when they have you on the ropes.

Really, though, I know it is a losing battle, that I can't keep Rollie in a plastic bubble or hermetically sealed containment building until he is eighteen. I just didn't realize that his peers would start having an influence so soon. The control freak must let go. I must trust that some of the other parents out there, the ones whose kids come into contact with mine, are going to do a decent job of raising their children, so that my job might be a little less harrowing.

I sure do feel like Lee Adama today, floating in space, a small oxygen leak in my flight suit, watching the fireworks in the distance, and completely at a loss as to how to get back to the ship.

9 Comments:

At 3:10 PM, Blogger Dorothy Gould said...

Annie, I remember when Sophie first started MMO, and came home with language that didn't really please me. All you can do is try and stick with the parents that you know have somewhat the same parenting philosophy as yours. This has worked great for us, we have a group of 5 moms that met in MMO 4 years ago and we swap kids for playdates all the time. Since the rules are same (for the most part) in all of our homes, it makes me comfortable. But it is tough to give up that control 24/7 at first! I have enjoyed reading your blog for a while now, you really have a way with words, and your stories of parenthood ring so true!
Dorothy (Mike's sister)

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Hi, Dorothy! So glad you are reading - hope that "you really have a way with words" is a compliment, and not a reference to some of my more colorful language, of which there is plenty on this here blog. :-)

Thanks for the great advice - I think you are right. That one of the keys is to find parents with similar parenting styles. I am hoping that a move to an area with more families will give me some more options. Right now there just aren't that many kids for rollie to play with in the first place.

By the way, any sister of Mike's is a sister of mine; I am pretty sure that I have met you somewhere along the way, either at your parents' house in Roswell (a good 15 years or so, at least!) or at Mike's first wedding. Hope you keep reading, and I am going to start reading yours, now that I know who you are.

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger Dorothy Gould said...

oooohhhh, mike's first wedding. i barely remember that, i do know there was an incident with some of us playing a guitar, lots of alcohol and one of my sister in laws (she was a fiance at the time) making good friends with the toilet. good times!

yes, it was a compliment, i enjoy your colorful language too! Is the lake you often refer to Sinclair? I went to school in Milledgeville, it was GA College at the time, and spent many a happy day on Sinclair.

The whole preschool parent thing can be interesting to say the least. Sophie is about to be 5, and this is our 4th year at the same preschool. It can take some trial and error, and you will be amazed at some of the parenting styles out there. But I have to say, the moms that I clicked with, they are now the ones who will take Sophie on a moment't notice, and wouldn't give it a second thought. She has bathed with most of her preschool friends, and been returned to me in pj's, and has even slept over a few times. They were real lifesavers when the twins arrived last Fall. The sad thing is, none of our kids will be in the same elementary schools when they start Kindergarten next Fall.

This is probably the longest comment ever...but glad you will be entering into more of the Maier world by reading my blog. Also, check out the link to my mom's,(Dot's Blog, Mike and Kat set it up for her) she is right up there with the best of us bloggers!

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Dorothy Gould said...

oooohhhh, mike's first wedding. i barely remember that, i do know there was an incident with some of us playing a guitar, lots of alcohol and one of my sister in laws (she was a fiance at the time) making good friends with the toilet. good times!

yes, it was a compliment, i enjoy your colorful language too! Is the lake you often refer to Sinclair? I went to school in Milledgeville, it was GA College at the time, and spent many a happy day on Sinclair.

The whole preschool parent thing can be interesting to say the least. Sophie is about to be 5, and this is our 4th year at the same preschool. It can take some trial and error, and you will be amazed at some of the parenting styles out there. But I have to say, the moms that I clicked with, they are now the ones who will take Sophie on a moment't notice, and wouldn't give it a second thought. She has bathed with most of her preschool friends, and been returned to me in pj's, and has even slept over a few times. They were real lifesavers when the twins arrived last Fall. The sad thing is, none of our kids will be in the same elementary schools when they start Kindergarten next Fall.

This is probably the longest comment ever...but glad you will be entering into more of the Maier world by reading my blog. Also, check out the link to my mom's,(Dot's Blog, Mike and Kat set it up for her) she is right up there with the best of us bloggers!

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

I also barely remember Mike's first wedding. Yep, the lake is sinclair - did you enjoy going to school there? It has changed a LOT. I remember that mike had the Georgia college sticker on his Pinto - the green one!!! Good times - had forgotten about that piece of machinery.

Sad that Sophie will go to different schools, but sounds like you have a knack for picking great friends, so she will make some new ones, and the old ones will still be around.

I am so impressed by you and the twins. I don't know how you do it. Will have to check out Dot's blog. All I remember about Dot is that she got mad at me for going barefoot in her house. She scared me. :-)

 
At 8:14 AM, Blogger StephB said...

Dot scared everyone - that is her allure. : )

Totally with you on the MMO behavior changes. Whining, biting, hitting self in head . . . all bad.

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Steph, i don't think you need to worry. You are doing an awesome job - Annika is an angel. I mean, all of them have their moments, but she is a great kid, warm and respectful and sweet.

 
At 11:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe Rollie just learned some football chant!

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

You are right. Maybe it was nothing. Maybe I should worry more about him getting into the razors in the bathroom and trying to shave. Oh, wait. He already did that.

 

Post a Comment

Tell me 'bout it, Stud. . .

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter