Monday, April 21, 2008

Note to Self

Do not, under any circumstances, run with the partner shown below, ever, ever again.


This is Emily. Emily is a Jack Russell Terror. Er, Terrier. She belongs to my sister, Lisa, who is pregnant and sciatic, and didn't seem to mind trading the spaz dog for my two-year old for an hour while Emily took me for a run.

Emily is scared of cars, I think, or at least loud ones, so she veers widely away from the road when one comes towards her. This puts her right in the path of me, her walker. I am sure that the folks on Briarcliff road who witnessed the gymnastics involved in me navigating the sidewalks, crosswalks, fire hydrants and street signs with the Terror in tow were howling in laughter. The best part was when I got off the main roads and onto the side streets. There? There they have huge trees. Trees have squirrels. Emily LOVES her some squirrels. Enough that she will literally launch herself four feet in the air, on a diagonal, straight across my path, in hopes of snagging a squirrel; She continues to do this, even when the short, short lead i have her on snaps taught, gives her whiplash, and she gets that panicky look as she plunges to the ground, where she inevitably lands on her four freakish paws.

She then starts looking for the next victim. And the whole scenario repeats all over again.

What I didn't realize, in my frustration at running with the equivalent of a pissed off cat in a hatbox, is that my run would result in sore forearms. My arms got seriously tired.*

I can just see it now: The latest fitness craze in LA and NYC - Terrier Leading!

*Disclaimer: yes, there were moments when I thought the whole run would be a lot easier if I just let her run into traffic. I didn't. But I thought about it.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 7:12 AM, Blogger Nat said...

This is why I wear Lola's leash wrapped around my waist. We also switch sides so she is never on the side that cars are going beside her because she freaks out too and crosses in front of me. The squirrel thing though is a little harder to untrain.
Welcome back!

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Hmm. Will have to think about the leash around the waist thing, IF i ever run with her again. Or maybe all the squirrels will die anyway. They are just rats in cute outfits.

 
At 12:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for not letting my baby get run over! She enjoyed her run and I enjoyed her the rest of the afternoon while she was tuckered out on her bed. She is so bad to the bone but I love her.

Lee Lee

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger StephB said...

You need a pinch collar. It looks like a medieval torture device but actually just pinches the dog's neck skin when they pull you like that. Ergo, they don't want to pull so much because "ow".

If the dog pulls like this, you don't want her jerking your whole body around - you'll hit the deck.

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Did she really sleep the rest of the afternoon? That is good incentive for you to walk her tons after baby comes and lose the baby weight fast.

Steph, I have never used one of those - Just a choke collar. She really seems to not learn from her mistakes though. She is incorrigible. Plus, I may never take her again. The other problem is that she does this weird pogo-ing thing, where sometimes she is in the air at my face level, but there is still slack in the leash.

 

Post a Comment

Tell me 'bout it, Stud. . .

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter