Wednesday, July 16, 2008

I'm a Slacker


P7040026.JPG
Originally uploaded by Dogwood Girl.
I have really neglected old Dogwood Girl this week. I guess getting ready to go to the beach and trying to get all my workouts in, while doing laundry, and being a singlish mom (what i call myself when Todd has a busy shoot week) has put DG on the back burner. Sad, because i had lots of ideas and thoughts i wanted to get down.

Anyway, this photo doesn't take much explanation, but it is a significant milestone.

Anyone who is a parent can identify with the horrible feeling of trying to watch young kids around water. It is kind of like constantly having lost your keys of purse. You feel slightly naked or vulnerable, and you have a little panicky feeling scanning the area to keep tabs on both children.

Or maybe that's just me.

So, when we are at the Lake, the kids have to wear their life jackets whenever they are near the water, on the dock, in the boat, etc. But this past 4th of July weekend, the water was low enough for both kids to stand on the bottom near the seawall. (Our lake level, unlike many in GA, has not been affected by the drought.) That means that, with their life jackets on, and their feet on the bottom, Todd and I could SIT ON THE DOCK AND WATCH THEM SWIM.

This may not seem like much, but you try to relax and drink a beer, while standing in lake water with two kids arms clinging tightly around your neck. Normally, one of us has to be in the water to drag their butts back when they start flowing downriver.

It was like glimpsing a bright, sunny, relaxing future. My future. With children who can stand up on their own.

On another note, this is also one of very few pictures where both kids are a) looking at the camera and b) smiling, rather than trying to beat the shit out of each other.

Okay, maybe this photo did require some explanation.

3 Comments:

At 1:50 PM, Blogger Dorothy Gould said...

Ann, I have a name for that, I call it a "magazine mom". I see them at our pool, they are the ones in their chairs READING UNINTERRUPTED while their kids swim. During adult swim they throw some snacks out and chat with said kids for 15 minutes, then it's back to reading. We are not there yet, and probably won't be till maybe the end of next summer. Sophie is totally independent, but the twins require one adult each at all times. I cannot manage them on my own, they run off in opposite directions and I have to chose who to save, not fun. I am so glad for you guys, it will only get better!

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

That's it. I want to be a magazine Mom. You pegged it.

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger Mike Maier said...

Very jealous; we are pretty much in full time battle mode with 1 and 3 year old. they can be sweet but if they are together there is no looking away or focusing on anything else or someone is bound to be crushed.

 

Post a Comment

Tell me 'bout it, Stud. . .

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter