Thursday, November 08, 2007

Typical Tiller

Tiller is the kind of kid that yells out, "Mama, I'm stuck!"

I walk around the corner to the entryway and see that she has put her head through the balustrade. She is on the first step, and crying her eyes out, and saying over and over, "Mama, I'm stuck."

My first instinct is panic. That is a lie. Panic is my second instinct. First instinct was to stare at her and then laugh. I yell up the stairs, "Todd? Can you come down here, please?" in the same faux-calm voice my father used one summer day in the 80s, when we were supposed to leave in a couple of hours for a week's vacation at the lakehouse. I believe his exact words from the parquet hallway at the bottom of the stairs, up to my Mom, were: "Honey, can you come down here? I had a little accident with the lawn mower."

He had, in fact, cut his toe off with the lawnmower.

We walked downstairs to find him standing in a pool of his own blood. He then yelled at me to go out in the yard and look for his toe. I never did find that thing.

Okay, so Tiller was not bleeding, but she was screaming, and crying, and trying to pull her head out of the balustrade, and getting a little panicky when it wouldn't come out. I was on the floor of the entry, talking to her, and trying to feel around her head to see just how tight it was, and as Todd came down the stairs, he probably heard me mutter, in true Mother-of-the-Year fashion, "Baby, how the fuck did you manage to do this?"

I told Todd to go get dish liquid from the sink, thinking we could slick her head up with soap and push it back through. He ignored me, walked between Tiller and me, and then gently pushed her head right back through. Much crying ensued, but we think little to no brain damage.

Then we rocked her and held her and looked at each other over her head, shaking our heads and both thinking to ourselves, Typical Tiller. This will not be the last.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At 10:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't want to scare you, but her head looked a little blocky to me this morning.

Tiller, YOU blockhead.

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Maigh said...

That. Is fucking. Hysterical. You never found his toe?? Yankin' the kid through the banister? The cussin'? I love it. Good stuff...good stuff...

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger StephB said...

I can't believe you didn't find the toe! Maybe a dog got it or a bird.

Poor Tiller. I'm glad Todd was able to wedge her back through before panic set in.

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Glad y'all liked the toe story. It is funny how old family stories don't sound insane until you tell them to outsiders.

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger Dorothy Gould said...

Love the toe story. Poor Tiller, maybe the trauma will keep her from doing it again...you can only hope.

 

Post a Comment

Tell me 'bout it, Stud. . .

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter