Monday, September 22, 2008

Stop the Brat Coddling!

I really hate to judge people's parenting skills in writing on my blog (I totally prefer it on the phone with my sister while I kill a bottle of wine), but . . .well, let the judging begin.
If your child is screaming because she doesn't want to get in her car seat, and I am right next to you, waiting to put my child in her car seat, but can't because opening my door would bang in to your car door, please do not shush your child in a quiet, soothing, sweet voice, pleading with her to please calm down and climb in her seat like a big girl, as if you are talking her down off a fucking ledge. Please just put your child in the car seat, hold her down firmly while you strap her in, and ignore her cries of distress. I guarantee, she will not be harmed in the process.* In so doing, you just might show your daughter that she is not the center of the Goddamn universe, and I might might make it home before mine pisses in her pants.

If your son breaks into uncontrollable tears of terror when I ask him to please stop hitting the dog, he is not a "sensitive soul" he is a brat who has not heard the word "No" often enough.

And if your child thinks that my 4 BR, 2.5 BA house is "really small," then maybe it is your family's world view that is a bit on the small side.

*If the child turns blue, that means you might be pushing a little too firmly; ease up until she can breathe to cry again, then start over again with slightly less pressure.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 8:48 PM, Blogger Dorothy Gould said...

You know, you really ARE God's gift to parenting! I could not agree more.

Here's one that always gets me: Don't stop me and my kids after preschool, while I am struggling to get both of them to the car and in their car seats without being killed in the parking lot. What about me struggling with two almost 3 year olds who are tired and hungry makes you think I want to have a 15 minute conversation about nothing in said parking lot??

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger Danielle said...

HA! Was some little turd REALLY hitting a dog? That warrants a beat down not just a "no!"

 
At 12:09 AM, Blogger Nikki said...

So...when's your book coming out?

 
At 8:14 AM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Dani, no it was just one of those cases where he was pushing the dog and hitting him with a stick. Not hard enough to hurt the dog, just annoyingly enough that the dog might up and bite him.

Nikki, you funny!

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I like wine. And bitching about people.

 

Post a Comment

Tell me 'bout it, Stud. . .

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter