Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Yanked from a Time Warp Into the Blessed Present

I have written before about my love for the song This Must Be the Place, by Talking Heads, and about how cool it was that Arcade Fire covered the song live. So, last night, we came in from dinner out, and I had to do the dishes from lunch (Domestic Diva, don't'cha know?) and so i turned on the radio. I usually listen to 88.5 or 92.9 FM or a CD while in the kitchen, but for some reason, i didn't like what was on, and I flipped over to WREK. Well, they were playing the Arcade Fire cover of This Must Be the Place, and so i stood there and listened for the whole song.

It is amazing the way a song, particular songs, can completely transport you to a different time in your life, so much so that you can almost taste and smell and feel it, and it looms over you, and you are just transfixed by it. I could not have changed the channel if I had wanted.

Also, I did not want to do the dishes, or finish the dishes and have to go wrangle children into PJs. Much more enjoyable to daydream about being eighteen and in love and with that peculiar sense of possibility that i had when I fell in love with the song the first time.

So, the song ended and I came roughly out of my reverie to the sound of the college girl on the radio, saying the name and band and the name of the radio show. And then she said, "And now i have some tickets to give away. If you'd like to see Broken Social Scene at the Variety, be the first caller through."

My cel was right there on the counter, I dialed the number and she answered. I won.

Just like that, I was yanked from 1990 to 2008, like a shot. And now I am going to a free show tonight. I love it when stuff like that happens. And I still love that song.

Obviously, based on this with my combined win of the book from Goodreads, I will be buying a lottery ticket this Friday.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me 'bout it, Stud. . .

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter