Saturday, December 17, 2005

1992

While coming up with the stats for my previous post, I experienced complete music nostalgia. I was viewing all of the albums we own for a particular year, and thinking, "Oh, yeah! That was a fucking awesome year! I bought this and that, and damn! That is a total classic album now, but it was just a weekly purchase for me at the time. I saw this show! I went with so-and-so." And so on and so on. . . .

My favorite albums from 1992:

Beastie Boys - Check Your Head
The Breeders - Safari
Jesus and Mary Chain - Honey's Dead
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Peter Gabriel - Us
PJ Harvey - Dry
Ride - Going Blank Again
Sonic Youth- Dirty
Sugar - Copper Blue
Superchunk - On the Mouth

Note: Sloan's Smeared also came out this year. I heard the single, "Underwhelmed" and was . . .well, underwhelmed. A few years later, my then-boyfriend Zach had it and I hated it. I thought it was pop crap. It was only after hearing their album Twice Removed a few years later that I came to love them and revisit this album. Thanks, Zach.

Shows I think I remember seeing: Dinosaur Jr., Fugazi, My Bloody Valentine, Sugar, Superchunk, Ween, and Lollapalooza (Red Hot Chili Peppers, Ministry, Ice Cube, Soundgarden, the Jesus and Mary Chain, Pearl Jam, Lush). Some of these could have been 1993, I guess, but it was that general time period.

Oh, the nostalgia: These albums make me think of sitting on a couch at the Georgia Bar with Honey, watching boys coming in. It is probably about midnight, and it's just starting to get really crowded, and they are playing Check Your Head, and next they will probably play Aretha Franklin's "Respect." I remember the first time I heard Loveless, I was with Jason Parker and Donnie Sanders and Dottie somebody-or-other at some guy's house, playing cards, and getting really fucked up. This was also the first time I heard The Jesus Lizard's Goat. For some reason, PJ Harvey reminds me of driving down Baxter with Brant, in his his jeep, listening to "Sheela Na Gig." I don't know if that was 1992 or not, but that's what it makes me think of.

Of course, these are just the release dates on the albums, and it is possible (likely, even) that the memories I have took place the following year or so. The old noggin isn't what it used to be. . . .

Okay, this is fun. Coming soon: A walk down the memory lane that is 1993. . . .

1 Comments:

At 9:33 AM, Blogger StephB said...

Jason Parker had encyclopedic music knowledge. I discovered (for me) lots of cool bands through him. : )

 

Post a Comment

Tell me 'bout it, Stud. . .

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter