Monday, April 23, 2007

Growing Chocolate (and Wonder and Hope)

So, one of the really cool things about young kids is their total suspension of disbelief. They don't even know what disbelief is! They just walk around, looking at the world with the belief that anything is possible. It is fucking awesome. I look at my kids and wonder where I lost that ability, but know that in me? It is long, long gone. I am one cynical, disbelieving bitch. Not so cynical that I don't let them believe, though.

Which is why I answered Rollie the way I did today when we were out gardening. I had finished what I was doing, and decided to get some of the flowering things and bring them inside to enjoy. I was cutting some jasmine when Rollie said, "Mama?" "This plant is going to grow up and up and grow chocolate."

I looked at the Hydrangea, my absolute favorite flower (Not really a flower, I know!) at which he was pointing, and I thought, well, it is my favorite flower, but it would be pretty fucking cool if it was chocolate, plus, if my hydrangeas bloomed chocolate, I think we would be able to retire to my imagined farm in the middle of nowhere.

"Yeah, Rollie. It might just do that," I nodded, hopeful for a moment, and with a slight smile on my face. "It just might."

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 10:23 PM, Blogger liotma said...

Have you read 'Harvey Potters' Balloon Farm'? We read that book to shreds, that is some cool farm!
from Mike and Dor's sister

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

That rings a bell. . . will have to go find it. Thanks! And don't be a stranger - I have a bit of an M. family readership going here. :-)

 
At 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this post. Go Rollie!

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Thanks, Reese! When are you going to start blogging again? I miss your posts. You are a great writer.

Also, congrats on being an uncle 2nd time around - way cute kids!

Come visit.

 

Post a Comment

Tell me 'bout it, Stud. . .

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter