Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Our Vacay

Went to the lake for a week for Rollie's spring break. I unplugged for a week - no internet for over seven days. That was kind of strange, but much-needed.

We had a nice week, although we only had one warm day for the kids to play in the water before it turned freezing. So, to keep from getting bored and cabin feverish, we tried to stay busy. We did some "fishing" - Fishing with kids rarely means you catch anything. It just consists of sitting around talking and trying to keep the kids from throwing the rods in the water, or falling in themselves. We went to the Uncle Remus Museum in Eatonton, the birthplace of Joel Chandler Harris. We walked around fabulous downtown Eatonton. "Sleepy" describes the area to a T. Tiller and Lisa and I checked out the flea market in downtown Milledgeville. We also ate cake and had coffee at Blackbird Coffee, which is a surprisingly nice coffee shop for middle Georgia. They even have free wi-fi; I did not partake of that.

On Saturday, we bundled up the kids and went to Andalusia, the farm that was the home of Flannery O'Connor and where she lived while writing all of her novels. I have been meaning to go there for years, but the weather never cooperated. (Read: It was always too nice, and I chose to float on an inner tube drinking cheap beer out of the can, rather than following my literary desires.) The farm is on over 500 acres, and has, in addition to the antebellum farmhouse, numerous outbuildings, a pond, and they are creating some nature trails. Did I mention they have a resident donkey pony? Flossie. She is cute.

The kids just loved running around willy-nilly on the property, and seeing Flossie. Tiller and I spoke with the old woman who feeds Flossie every day, rain or shine. She drove up in a Honda CRV-type vehicle, and when she got out, I almost laughed out loud. She was wearing a long dress coat, the kind your Grandma would wear to church on Sunday, complete with a black dress hat with big red flowers on it. She and her dog, Champ, a spastic lab mix came out and fed Flossie, and Tiller and I watched the picture of this woman, her young dog, and the donkey. The woman, with her dress clothes on, tossed out a bale of hay for Flossie, the dog frolicking around the barn, and Flossie nuzzling the woman's pockets for treats. It was perfect, just like a character out of O'Connor's novels.

It was pretty cool to see the bedroom where Flannery wrote. (She lived in a downstairs room, since she couldn't walk upstairs.) They still have the room as she kept it, with her desk and typewriter placed facing away from the front windows, so that she wouldn't be distracted by the view of the pond (the equivalent to the Internet distraction of writers today?) I tried to imagine her sitting there, typing out Wise Blood on the typewriter, but it was easier imagining her stories when you walk the grounds and see how her environment played such a huge part in the settings of her writings. Andalusia is at once beautiful, especially in early spring, with everything blooming and coming alive, and still eerie as hell, as if you can hear the echoes of her characters voices emanating from the dilapidated outbuildings. I was inspired.

Sunday was Easter. We woke up and ate a buttload of candy. Tiller accidentally ate peanut butter. I am a shitty parent. Then we dressed them in their Easter outfits (note that Tiller's included leggings, rather than tights, which is so, like, something I would wear in 1990, except that hers didn't have holes in them.) My Mom and Dad were coming up that morning. Mom made a ham and homemade potato salad, which were really good, but kind of weird because I don't think of them as a meal you eat when it is 30 degrees out. Then Dad and I bundled up and hid the Easter eggs.

We froze our asses off while the kids ran around the yard finding eggs. Then we attempted to get a few good shots of the kids all dressed up. Basically, it was one big windburned, snot-nosed mess. Then we went inside, stuffed our faces, and headed home.

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At 5:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That 1st pic of Tiller looks like a Renoir painting. Funny.

At least we know she's not allergic to peanut butter. :)

 
At 10:17 PM, Blogger StephB said...

Why can't she have peanut butter? We eat peanut butter and nuts all of the time over here.

Good easter photos!

I'm jealous that you got to stop in Milledgeville. It is on the way to Sandersville, so I pass it when I go there and always want to stop.

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger Dorothy Gould said...

I agree with your sister about the Renoir painting, that's a really cool photo of Tiller. Your Milledgeville description brings back fond memories of my college years spent there....esp the part where you decided to stay in your tube on the lake drinking beer, I had many of those moments myself!

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Todd took the tiller pic, so I can't take credit for that. I guess i was the stylist, though. :-)

Concerning the peanut butter - I have tried to avoid it until they are three, because it is more that they (allergy experts?) think exposure to tree nuts early on might set one up for allergies to it later. And while I am not a nazi about most stuff, I am scared of the peanut allergy, because I know three people whose kids have it, one of which didn't have a reaction until he was five, and he almost died. Up until then, he had it and was fine. So, Rollie eats it, we have it in the house, but i was just trying to hold off until they were three.

Milledgevill is not that exciting, really. Although they do have two totally bitching bakery/sweets stores. One of them has oldschool kids candies, like candy lips, and fun dip. They also have about five different kinds of malt balls. What diet?

Why do you go to Sandersville, steph?

Dorothy - I totally forgot that one of Mike's sisters went there! It has changed a TON in the last 15 years or so. I still remember that Mike had the college sticker on the Pinto in high school. Did you drive the Pinto before him?

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Dorothy Gould said...

Annie, Oh yes, I had the Pinto before Mike, we were a total hand me down car family, as you can imagine. That Pinto made many a trip down 441 to the Village, as we affectionately used to call M'ville. After I graduated the car went to Mike, and I got my father's previous company car, that was a 78 Cutlass Salon, with falling down headliner. Mike may have gotten that one a few years later as well. When I started school at what was then Georgia College, the total enrollment was 3300. I graduated in '88 and haven't been back since then. It was a fun town to go to college in, small enough, but with plenty of things to do. I remember a restaurant called Choby's, the son of the owner was in my class. It was on the shore of Lake Sinclair, as you came into town, right across from the power plant, do you know if it is still there? When my NJ family came down for my graduation, they were amazed that an all you could eat catfish restaurant was pretty much the nicest in town. We moved to GA right after my freshman year at college in NJ, so I went straight from NJ to middle GA, talk about culture shock! I never knew a Yankee was anything but the baseball team in NY, but I sooned learned differently.

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

The good old Pinto. I cannot imagine how much hell you caught for your Yankeeness in M'ville. I bet that was funny.

Choby's is about five minutes from our lakehouse. It recently (last couple of years or so) moved to a building across the street, where there is a big RV camp and boat launch. A lot of fishermen stay there on weekends. The property the old Choby's was on was bought, oddly enough by our lakehouse next-door neighbor. He is a builder and he is developing it as townhomes. (With a questionable lovely view of the plant!) The new Choby's is the location of the infamous Anne and Lisa (my sis) accidentally shut Rollie's fingers in the van door incident.

 

Post a Comment

Tell me 'bout it, Stud. . .

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter