Sunday, July 29, 2007

8 Mile

I did it. I ran eight miles. That is the farthest I have ever run in my life. I planned to do it outside, but the weather was threatening thunderstorms, so I relented and agreed to do it on the treadmill at the gym. I get so fucking bored on the treadmill that I want to die, but I just told myself that I had to do it and if I didn't, i would be disappointed in myself. Somehow, either the self-induced guilt trip worked, or I just had one of those "magic" running days where it just isn't that hard, and anything seems possible. I was really tired, and it was hard, but I just took two miles at a time, and it wasn't that bad.

Sure, the no hills and lots of AC probably made it easier, but the thing that I am starting to realize is that the most important element to this running thing is the mental element. I just had to tell myself that I could do it, and that, to borrow from that sage poet Eminem, "you can do anything you set your mind to."

Total time for the 8 miles: 1 hr 34 mins 44 secs. (11:51 pace)

Oh, and according to my little calculator I use to map my routes, running 8 miles at a 12 minute pace adds up to about 1000 cals burned. That's, like, ten light beers.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

At 6:25 AM, Blogger StephB said...

Woooo! Way to go, Anne! You kick ass!

 
At 6:26 AM, Blogger StephB said...

Oh, and I like how you got the Eminem reference in the post with the 8 mile title.

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Thanks! And yes, I am wildy talented with the music quotes, no?

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger Nat said...

Anne--I am so impressed and proud of you. :)
You have made some serious progress this year. And let me just say, if you can run 8 miles you can run a half marathon. I expect you out there for at least one of the halfs I am planning on doing this year. The only thing holding you back is yourself.

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Aw, thanks, Nat. that means a lot. I am loosely considering the Silver Comet. Kind of seeing how the knee holds up with the longer runs. I had zero knee pain after the 8 on sat., so that is promising.

And, um, was that another eminem quote?

 
At 1:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that really worked for you? I try the self guilt thing and about .175 seconds later I think, "who the fuck are you kidding, stop now and sit down" you totally rock, good for you. Now go and have your 10 beers for pete's sake.

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Yes, unfortunately, I am able to guilt myself into things. Sad, no?

Also sad that I ran more miles than I could drink calories, and I still didn't lose any weight last week. Dang.

 

Post a Comment

Tell me 'bout it, Stud. . .

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter