Monday, January 14, 2008

Book Recommendations

So, I've been slack about updating my "What I'm Reading" section. I finished The Lies of Locke Lamora a while ago, and then went out and bought the sequel, because it was such an enjoyable read. They are pretty light fantasy. Not groundbreaking, but have a pretty interesting fantasy world that is similar enough to our world to be believable, but with some cool imaginings that stretch over into the fantastic. (Bondsmagi are way cool! And kind of mean!) I loved the main characters - They are lovable, incorrigible thieves and con artists, with wonderful self-deprecating senses of humor. The demises of some characters are downright nasty and gory, but i love that kind of stuff. I love that Lynch isn't scared to kill off some major characters either. I cried a couple of times. (Yep, i cry over books.)

The characters do have love interests, but there's not a lot of mushy crap, and in the first two books, one character is alluded to as a love interest and we never even see her, although I was constantly thinking she would show up sooner or later. Speaking of women, they are strong and cool and complete badasses in the books. The world Lynch imagines is one where men and women work and fight next to one another every day. The setting is a strange Mediterranean-style water world, with sharks, and gladiator-like sporting events, and enough magic and ancient history to make it fantasy, without spilling over into the annoying side of fantasy. The second book, Red Seas Under Red Skies hits the high seas, the landlubber characters learning the ropes (and the crimes) from the pirate world.

Anyway, I loved the books for the fact that they were the fun reading that reminds you why you first loved to read in the first place: You find a world that captures your imagination and stays with you long after you finish the read.

Highly recommended for reading right after finishing some pretentious or difficult read, when you just want to remind yourself that reading doesn't have to be a struggle to be good.

I'm sad they are over and I can't wait for the third.

p.s. Thanks again to Kat and Mike for sending it!

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 2:37 PM, Blogger Maigh said...

Guuurrrrl, you need to get on GoodReads! You'll love it, if you aren't already.

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

I'll check it out, but i am afraid my brain will implode if i have to create any more logins. By the way, your cats are cute as hell, but you are seriously pushing cat-lady status. not that it's a bad thing, but just watch out.

 

Post a Comment

Tell me 'bout it, Stud. . .

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter