Saturday, January 12, 2008

The Kind of Mother I Wanted to Be

One of the major things that you never hear about having children is how completely isolating it is. I spend all week with my kids, except for when I play trivia on Tuesday nights, or when I go out if Todd watches the kids. I get a couple hours off on Tuesdays and Thursday mornings when they are in MMO. Rollie goes all week, so i have some mornings without Rollie, but I still have Tiller. More manageable, but not what I would call relaxing. My weekends are exactly like my weekdays, so that they blur together and become one big block of monotony that continues for weeks, only being broken up by occasional trips out of town. Before I had children, I thought I would be someone with well-behaved children who could travel anywhere, who would be well-behaved whenever i took them out, and who would thrive on the interesting and stimulating things that i wanted to do with them.

This, of course, is making anyone who has children laugh their asses off. Unless you have one child under a year old, in which case you are still in the honeymoon phase, thinking that your child will always nap well in public, and that those people with kids having tantrums in restaurants are just crappy parents who did everything wrong.

The thing is, a parent wants to go out in public every once in a while, and so you take the chance on your kids. You explain that we have to use inside voices, and show respect for others, and that anything else will not be tolerated. If the kids can't follow the rules, then they must understand that we will leave the restaurant. If they can't behave, they will not get to go run errands with Mama, like we planned. So, when you take them to a restaurant, everything is fine, until someone takes a crayon from someone else, and the one warning is issued, and the bad behavior continues, and then you have to cowboy up as a parent. You have to leave the restaurant, and take the little offender home, with apologies to all the patrons staring at you as you leave the restaurant near tears. And you pile them in the car, and feel sorry for yourself because you can't even have one fucking meal in peace, or have one Saturday afternoon where you walk around with your child and look in shop windows, or get a coffee, or stop by the bike shop, like you had planned all fucking week. Nope, you gotta go back to the fucking house, and be stuck with the little assholes who fucked up your day in the first place. And then you feel like you could die, because you love them so much, and what if something happened to one of them, and you had written something so terrible about them?

Truth is, i am lonely. We made a choice to live somewhere that has lots of things to do that Todd and I like to do, but that really don't translate all that well to the preschool set. We live in a neighborhood where there are no kids Rollie's age. Mom says she used to have friends in her neighborhood who had kids our age, and so they watched each other's kids. That sounds awesome, but there are no Stay-at-home moms in my neighborhood, and I just don't think trading dogsitting and babysitting services with the gay neighbors is an option. Babysitter, you say? Yeah, we use one for special events, but babysitters do not come cheap, and for a family on a very tight budget, it just isn't something you are going to do weekly.

So, we continue to watch the kids for each other, and that is cool and much appreciated by both of us, and we go out with friends and it is fun, but it would be nice to go out with my husband every once in a while. Another thing about parenting, especially once you have two children, is how dividing it is. There is just not enough time for everyone to get what they need, and so you go out of your way to watch the kids for each other, so that each person gets kid-free time, but what you never get is kid-free time together. It would be nice to win the lottery and have a night each week where i get to go out in public with him and not have the kids with us.

Most of all, it would be nice to not feel like I'm turning into some desperate housewife (I have never watched that show, so i have no idea what it means to be that kind of desperate housewife.) My son seems to pretty much despise me, except when he wants something. He is four, for God's sake. I used to tear up a little when he screamed and cried for Daddy at bedtime, but now i just feel a little dead inside, like here is what I got myself into, and there is nothing honorable to do but keep on loving him and taking care of him, and just shut off the part of my heart that used to hurt when he insulted me every night. I just know that I lose my temper too much, raise my voice too much, often dread being with my children, and feel resentment that I never have any free time to think straight. And so I can see why they love their father more.

There, i said it: Sometimes i dread being with my children, and I cringe at the sound of their grating little voices, and sometimes I wish I was the one that felt fresh and renewed and fun when I was with them.

And I hate myself for that, because that is never the kind of mother I wanted to be.

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

At 5:27 PM, Blogger StephB said...

Don't you worry. I'm that mother too sometimes - the kids can't help but see the not-at-home parent as the "fun" one because they just are. You are the ass-wiper, lunch-maker, discipline enforcer.

Sometimes, I save the punishment for when we get home. Seems to work OK - limiting on the places you can go (kid-friendly only) but, it works. And, my secret for the bike store is (1) new toys/books, and (2) gas-station snacks. You didn't hear me say that.

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Thanks, Steph, That makes me feel much better. Concerning the bike store, I never even got that far. I understand limiting the punishment til you get home, but i knew that anything but home would be a meltdown in public.

Anyway, I am going out tonight and I got my new Paste in the mail, so that cheered me up a little.

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger Nat said...

All I can say is that you may feel lonely but you are definitely not alone. I think it is part and parcel of being a parent that you just never think you are living up to the parent you should be/want to be. And ultimately you aren't going to know until your kids are adults whether or not you were the right kind of parent or not. Really, all you can do is go with your gut, do the best you can and most importantly love your kids as much as humanly possible.

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Thanks, nat. I feel like a complete bratty baby today for even writing this, but it did make me feel better to get it out. I know you guys understand. I feel very lucky to have friends like y'all, because I know i can say this stuff and you won't judge me.

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger jasonaut said...

As someone who someday will be in a similar situation, Thank You.

And as someone who tormented his parents for years, thanks again. Someday (around age 30), the kids will appreciate everything you've done for them.

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Thanks, j. I think you guys will do great when the time comes. And yes, I try to tell my mom at least once a week how much i appreciate her and love her and how sorry I am for being a pain in the ass for 20+ years.

 
At 3:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, coming from the father side of the story, I have a 7 month old daughter, so we're still in the honeymoon phase as you say. But I haven't left the house without my child except to go to work. And I haven't gone out and had proper fun since my wife was pregnant. I let her go out with her friend (ok I dont LET her, but you know what I mean) because she carried our child and had it worse than me. But I fell from time to time that I'm stuck. I get up in the morning with her, I play with her as much as I can and run errands slower, dont leave the house, dont jog, dont do anything that isn't for her. It's tough. I used to go out all the time, used to drink myself silly for no reason and used to be inappropriate to my wife at all times of the day. I miss my old life. life sucks from time to time, but I also forget everything I just said when my daughter smiles at me for no reason except that she's happy to see me.

 
At 10:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel the same way. It is lonely being a stay-at-home mom. Now that I am out in CA I have no friends and we have no baby sitting prospects. So I feel your pain!! BUt then there are those good days, the ones that make you forget all about the crappy days! Like your snow day with the kids, sounds like you guys had a blast!

 

Post a Comment

Tell me 'bout it, Stud. . .

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter