Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Summertime Rolls

I think of that song every year about this time. It makes me think of the beach and graduating high school and looking forward to college and working at the pool for the summer. It makes me think of the rope swing on the hooch, and Dairy Queen. It is a song, for me, about possibility.

So, more and more, when this time of year comes around, I think back at how I felt so hopeful back then, and I remind myself that there is power in feeling that anticipation, and in taking on new tasks and hobbies and work and travel.

Which is good, because I am going to be working again, at least part-time, and I have to remind myself that while my dreams of wearing the kids out at the pool every day or dropping everything at a moment's notice to head to The Lake might not come to fruition, change is always good, and I always learn and grow from it. Meeting new people and learning new jobs is always a booster to my self-esteem, my mindset, and yeah, to the bank account.

And the pool stays open til 9, so I think I can get in some swims, no matter how much I am working.

Summertime Rolls. . . .

Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

At 10:19 AM, Blogger jasonaut said...

Oh for the days of pepper sunlight.

Good.

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

I know. It makes one sit in front of their computer and wonder where it all went wrong, and how did I end up here in this box in front of the screen for 8 hours a day?

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Camille said...

love that song! i had all but forgotten about it, too. thanks for the reminder.

 
At 6:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I often make out with my wine bottle prior to consumption!

Great minds think alike...I have been listening to JA's first album over and over for about 2 weeks now.

Trip Away, 1%, Whores...

Dear lord they were talented.

 
At 8:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I want to know is how you decide to become employed one second before I go on maternity leave. :(

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger Mike Maier said...

What a great rope swing time that was- i had the best times throwing the bottom of the river at Casey and Tom Shultz drunk on whatever we could find.

 
At 6:22 AM, Blogger StephB said...

Congrats on your contract. I know that's not the point of your post, but still. Good news.

 
At 8:01 AM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Duh, Leelee. . . free Babysistering. . .

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Casey and Tom surely deserved it. Good times.

And yeah, thanks Steph. I am looking forward to doing some work again.

 

Post a Comment

Tell me 'bout it, Stud. . .

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter