Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

I've written numerous times about my mixed marriage. The kids are completely on the fence. They see a G on a car in front of me and yell, "Bulldogs!" or "Georgia for you, Mama!" or they see that AU on a car and say, "Auburn!" Course, Rollie says, "Aubrun," and Tiller actually says, "Bullgogs." Which is really cute.

If they see a G and Todd is in the car, they will ask? "Daddy? You like Bulldogs, right?" And we are good parents, who try to consider if certain things we say might interfere with a child's self-esteem; Who knows if Todd telling Rollie that he doesn't like GA, when Rollie likes both UGA and Auburn, will harm R's burgeoning self-worth?

So we lie.

The standard answer for this from Todd is "Yes, I like them. I like Auburn the best, and then my second favorite team is whoever is playing Bama that week, and then Georgia." Very diplomatic, and not really untrue.

Standard answer from me is also the truth: "Yes, I like Bullgogs first." "Then Tigers, mama?" I think for a minute.

"Well, Bulldogs first, then Panthers, then Tigers.

Everyone in the car, even my 2-year-old, look at me like I am crazy.

"Panthers? Who are Panthers, mama?"

"Dillon Panthers, baby. Dillon Panthers."

Yeah, I seriously have a Friday Night Lights problem, and it's not just about the hot Coach Taylor, either. I cried last night watching them win state in the first season finale. No, I'm not kidding.

Plus, it gives me satisfaction to choose a fictional high school football team over Todd's Tigers. Always the rivalry exists.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At 9:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I had as much free time in my life as you seem to. Blogging, tv, internet.....must be nice.

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Well, anonymous, why don't you just go have yourself a pity party. No thanks, I would rather not come.

Oh, and I also had a morning of shopping and lunch without kids today too.

How bout them apples?

 
At 4:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It could be worse. One of you could be a Gator...

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

The Gators are infiltrating my inner circle - First mark and now Evan is marrying a Gator.

 
At 3:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! You're just jealous your babies don't have a Gator tracksuit.

 
At 4:07 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Our babies are too classy for GAtor track suits.

 
At 10:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the van (and Mike's hair). My friend Craig had one back in 1975, we had some kind of earthenware crock in it with some alcoholic drink. We drove it to the drive-in in Wayne,NJ and watched 'Monty Python". The flying rabbits looked very big that night! Mary

 

Post a Comment

Tell me 'bout it, Stud. . .

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter