Thursday, May 29, 2008

Old Photo Day


Stevensmaybe.jpg
Originally uploaded by Dogwood Girl.
In case you haven't noticed, I heart old photos. This is one that I found in my mom's family photos. Based on the photos it was found with, I'm pretty sure it is a picture of one or more of the Stevens family. Frankly, it really bums me out that I don't know who it is, because I love their faces and the fact that they aren't all posed like people usually are in pictures from this era. I love the casual look of the subjects, like they're just out loping the roads on a Saturday afternoon. I love that the young kid (boy? girl?) is in the driver's seat. I love that the woman in the middle is obviously the matriarch of the family, lording over the others with her beads and her hat. I like that dark-haired woman in the back, looking out of the corner of her eye, and looking like the wicked witch of the west. I wonder what kind of car it is. Mostly, I wonder if one of them is my Grandma Vivian's mother, who grew up near Sanford, NC, and died when grandma was just a teenager in Slidell, LA. And I wonder who the rest of them are, and if they were as fun as my Grandma and Aunt Dot.

Most of all, I wish Grandma was sitting here next to me, drink in one hand, cigarette in the other, to look over my shoulder, tell me who they all are, and then tell me a gut-busting story about one of them.

2 Comments:

At 11:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good post. I wish she was here too! I love that pic. That was one of grandma's?

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

It was in with mom's old pics. . .

 

Post a Comment

Tell me 'bout it, Stud. . .

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter