Thursday, October 02, 2008

Spider Webs, Fall Harvest, and How Dogwood Girl Knows There is a God

So, I cleared out my summer garden yesterday, which involved pulling out the old plants, and reaping the last of the tomatoes, all of them still green. Tiller took this picture of Quint, who just doesn't get enough facetime on Dogwood Girl, considering he is always right there with us, no matter what we are doing around the house.


While i was working, Tiller and i found an awesomely huge spider web and spider.



The spider was not too happy when his web was messed up in the pulling of the old plants, but he was relocated into a nice boxwood and will be up and spinning in no time, I am sure.

And then there is the frying. If there is one thing I know, it is that there is a God. I know this because how else can we explain the majesty and awesomeness that is fried green tomatoes? They are a gift from God. This probably looks like fried okra to those of you in the know. . . however, they are tomatoes. That's right, i took the last of my patio tomatoes and fried them. I am sure my mom will read this and shake her head in disgust, because that's just not how it's done. But they were damn good. And I had realized that this was the first summer since i started eating solid food that i had not had any fried green tomatoes! A travesty!


Even Rollie and Tiller ate a few. Which is good, because I'm pretty sure you lose your Dunstan card if you don't like fried everything.

Labels: , , , , ,

12 Comments:

At 5:22 PM, Blogger Mike Maier said...

those look good. so how would your mom do it that is so different?

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Well, Mike, ye of the Yankee blood, first of all, you don't usually fry the grape/patio/cherry variety. They are usually made with green slicing tomatoes. In slices. So, that is what was weird about them that made it unlike Mama's.

While we are on the subject, you use cornmeal to fry them. The ones that are just dredged in flour? Wrong. Completely wrong.

They are also not served with faggy dipping sauces like horseradish mayo or any of that crap. (With apologies to my gay friends, of course.) You just eat'em plain. Preferably with other fried stuff, like fried corn, fried cabbage, fried okra, country-fried steak, and if you are very, very, very lucky, my Mama's mashed potatoes.

Turn on the Braves in the background, a sunburn and waterlogged body from being at the pool all day, and you got yourself a summer at my house growing up.

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

p.s. Also, doesn't your wife know how to fry tomatoes? I'm pretty sure she has the tomato-frying gene.

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger Dorothy Gould said...

I think my favorite part of Southern Cuisine is fried green tomatoes. You will be proud to know that yes, I did know that you were using the "wrong" kind, but they still look good to me.

yeah, anything fried is always good....

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger Nat said...

I made country fried steak and white gravy and homemade mash potatoes, and green bean. Oh and biscuits for dinner. Do I get to join the Southerner supper club?
My kids ate every last bit up.

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Oh, dear god, nat. That sounds awesome.

Dorothy, I figured you knew what's up, because I'm pretty sure you can't graduate from GA College (or whatever they call it these days) without eating your share of fried green tomatoes. You're just about an honorary southerner just for living in Milledgeville.

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Oh, and nat? Did you make scratch biscuits? Because real biscuits are impressive. Course, if you're frying steak, you might as well just fuck the kitchen ALL up.

 
At 7:48 AM, Blogger Nat said...

no, not real biscuits. I thought about it but I knew I wouldn't have the time so I bought the frozen whitelily buttermilk biscuits. Okay but not as good as homemade. Tricked Ryan (his family is from Long Island) and the kids.

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

They look pretty damn good and I wish I could have come over to eat them. I remember my 1st semester of college when I was in Auburn I missed mom's baked beans and potato salad the most. I craved them. Summers at home were so good. Sittin' on the screened porch. Watching my cholesterol climb. Ahh...

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

hey, I will eat the hell out of frozen biscuit. Miss my grandma's biscuit.

Nat, did you eat Hoecake growing up?

Lisa, sorry i didn't invite for fried greens. . . it was spur of the moment.

Mmm. baked beans, potato salad and ham. That sounds like Easter to me!

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger Nat said...

My mom made hoecakes once. I don't think it was successful. There were lots of stuff she made that I wouldn't touch. She use to try to get me to eat fried okra by saying it was brown popcorn--like that sounds appetizing.

My favorite meal she would make was fresh veggies: field peas, green beans, lima beans, sauteed squash and onions, fresh sliced tomatoes with salt and pepper, homemade biscuits, white rice and some times she would make fried chicken too. She still makes all the veggies and I go over and steal peas and beans and squash.

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

I can't believe you don't like fried okra. LOVE it. All that other veggie dinner i would strap on like a foodbag. Sounds so good, and just like we ate growing up!

On another note, I find it interesting that this post generated so many comments. . .

 

Post a Comment

Tell me 'bout it, Stud. . .

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter