Monday, December 19, 2005

Boy, We Don't Party Like We Used To. . . .

In keeping with my recent rambles down memory lane, I attended a get-together at the lovely Doug and Steph Bachman home. Attendees included a number of characters from my youth and young adulthood, as well as a dazzling array of snacks and desserts, including the dreaded-by-dieters, light-as-air, Rice Krispie treat. I am proud to say that I declined all sweets, and did not stuff myself to sickness. I also consumed only one beer and am pretty sure that people had difficulty recognizing me without a drink in my hand the entire evening.

Doug and Steph outdid themselves as usual. And it was great to see parents of a newborn bite the bullet and throw a party - more power to ya! Annika is an angel as ever, and Dagny is a adorable! I'm not just saying that, either. I believe I overheard discussions by other attendees that she will probably be a supermodel when she grows up. That's high praise for any child under 3 mos of age - at that point, they usually still look like sleestaks.

Surprise invitees included Virginia Harrison and Kim Thomas Jette. Kim, I am with Camille, that is a kickass new last name. Congratulations on your marriage! Virginia looked great, and brought her niece and nephew with her, along with pictures of Hendree's new daughter. Beautiful kids all, and Virginia seems happy in her aunthood; I bet she is great at it!

Camille brought both her girls - I cannot believe how big they are getting, and I still am wowed by their eye color every time. Who would have thought brown-eyed Camille would have children with such brilliantly-colored eyes?

Leigh and Betts attended with Bowen in tow. Love those boots, Bowie! Leigh, every woman there wished that they looked as good non-pregnant as you do knocked up. If you weren't one of our favorite people, we would hate your guts.

Misery loves company, and it was fun to commiserate with Brian and Genia Cayce concerning the trek from the big city into the suburban (exurban?) outskirts of Atlanta; Brian couldn't even get his cel phone to work! We live so close, we should get together more. I've got your numbers now - watch out! Speaking of which, a group is getting together at East Side Lounge on the 26th; Harris is in town and meeting people there. I believe your mutual friend Molly is also invited. Genia, maybe we can convince her to move to Seattle and fall in love with our favorite West coast bachelor. . . .

The highlight of the evening was seeing expatriates Mike Maier and his wife Kat, whom those of us in the Mom circle have chatted with online, but have never met. She was everything that I imagined Mike's wife and the mother of his child would be: Smart, funny, sweet, comfortable with strangers, and down-to-earth. Oh, and she's not bad looking, either. Way to go, Mike! Kat, we dig you and are happy to finally have met you. Little James is a doll, too. Mike, I love your new belly. Never thought you would have one, but the 30s catch up with us all, don't they? God knows they have overtaken me. Watch out - the Johnson clan just might take you up on the offer and show up in Enschede one of these days. Oh, and tell your Mom I will drop by to pick up those pictures of you and me and the infamous Easter haircut. Pictures of me with purple hair must be destroyed.

It is always interesting to get together with people that I have known for so long. People who know me, and have seen me at my worst. It is heartwarming to see the pride and love that they, as parents, have for their children. It is somehow comforting and inspiring and hopeful to see how everyone is turning out, how some have found their callings, or their companions, and their paths in life, and to know that there will be more twists and turns on those paths and we will all discuss them in a few more years. Fun was had by all, and my only regret is that i neglected to take a single picture. . . Guess we will have to take pictures next year. We're doing this again next year, right?

2 Comments:

At 2:44 PM, Blogger StephB said...

Definitely doing it again next year! Maybe then I won't spend the evening covered in spit-up. Thanks for the mention in the blog - I was just wishing that some of us would have taken photos - those and nametags were on my list. . .

AND, I thought Kim's husband was JOHN. I called him John more than 3 times. oops.

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger StephB said...

Actually, I think it is our relative altitude rather than our distance from the perimeter that accounts for the crappy cellphone reception because other parts of this area are fine, but when you come down the hill . . . kaput.

Not that I'm defensive or anything.

 

Post a Comment

Tell me 'bout it, Stud. . .

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter