Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Memorial Day 2006

We went back to the Lake for the weekend. My dad invited his first cousin and his cousin's wife and their two kids down for a night.

It was pretty cool to see Rollie playing with his cousins, ages six and four (at left - Cash, Rollie, and Christian). My sister has no children, and neither do Todd's brothers, so these are the first cousins Rollie has ever played with. Matilda and Rollie do have a cousin on their dad's side (Jake, who is his second cousin), but he is much older than Rollie. They also have a third cousin Rollie's age on my side, Max, but we have not spent a lot of time with them. I have very fond memories of playing with my cousins, Graham and Adam, as a child. I am glad Rollie is getting to experience that.

I went to the trouble to figure out how we are all related:
  • Billy and Daddy are first cousins (share grandparents, parents were siblings)
  • Billy and I are first cousins, once removed.
  • Billy and Rollie are first cousins, twice removed.
  • Billy's kids and I are second cousins.
  • Rollie and Billy's kids are Second cousins, once removed.
  • I am totally confused.
The downside to the weekend was that most of us adults came down with a virus. Lisa and Todd became sick Sunday afternoon. Todd and I decided to leave early for home (we had planned on coming back on Monday) and i managed to make it back to Atlanta, put Todd and the kids down to bed, and then got sick at about 10pm. I was up all night. Fun, fun. Just now feeling better today.

Here are some pics from the weekend!


Matilda wants to play with the big boys











Rollie and Christian on the boat










Captain Cecil

4 Comments:

At 3:24 PM, Blogger StephB said...

What a fun weekend! : ) I love Captain Cecil.

 
At 9:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm confused about the once removed, twice removed thing.

I thought that Billy was our 2nd cousin and Christian and Cash were our 3rd cousins, making them Rollie's 4th cousins?

Anyway, voodoo virus sucks.

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

I think it has to do with your parallel cousins (meaning you have a common ancestor that is the same "type" - for instance, Billy and Daddy share grandparents, so they are first cousins, you and I and Cash and Christian share great-grandparents, so we are second cousins, but Rollie/Matilda and Cash/Christian's common ancestors are Cash and Christians great-grandparents, while they are Rollie and matilda's Great GREAT grandparents, thus the "once removed."
Another example: Mom and John are first cousins (share grandparents). You, me, Graham and Adam are 2nd cousins (share great-grandparents), but Rollie and Matilda and Graham and Adam are 2nd cousins once removed.
It is REALLY confusing.

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Have to add in here that anyone other than Lisa who is reading this is probably about to gouge their eyes out to make it stop.

 

Post a Comment

Tell me 'bout it, Stud. . .

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter