Friday, July 07, 2006

God and Country


My favorite picture, by far, from our weekend in Alabama.
This is a local church there. Growing up, Todd and his friends referred to this church as both "Six Flags over Jesus" and "Fort God." Much to my amusement, they still refer to it that way. It is a fairly imposing structure, standing dark and faux-gothic over the corner lot it sits on. One of their close friend's father is pastor there.

It seems like every time we drive by it, i hear another story about it. This trip was no different. After spying this large-scale display of God Bless the U.S.A. I drunkenly made our designated driver, Ned, pull over so I could take this picture at 1 a.m. (I am not sure, but I think that taking ironic photographs of places of worship is a hanging offense in Alabama.) It was then that Ned and Todd told me the best nugget I had ever heard about Six Flags over Jesus. It seems that the beautiful stained glass window you see above is not really glass at all; It is plastic. Wait. It gets better. If you are sitting inside the church, you cannot even see this wall of stained plastic. It can only be seen from the outside of the building.

Priceless. Absolutely priceless.

1 Comments:

At 3:18 AM, Blogger Mike Maier said...

Hilarious- somehow so fitting that light cannot enter or escape the building...
Mike

 

Post a Comment

Tell me 'bout it, Stud. . .

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter