Thursday, November 16, 2006

Disclaimer

After receiving an email from a male friend, asking if he should really read the Outlander series, I feel it is my duty to explain more fully about the genre of the book: Outlander has tons of fans in the romance category.

I am not one to sit around reading romance novels, so I didn't mention this. I guess I didn't want anyone to think I was a romance reader. That being said, the reasons that I like the book have little to do with romance (although I would admittedly leave my husband for him if the hero showed up at my doorstep) and everything to do with genre-bending characters, strong females, adventure, what it might be like to live in the past, and a touch of time travel and witchcraft, mixed in with a healthy dose of biology and horticulture.

I don't read them because of the love story, but all of these other things I mention do add up to make this one of my favorite love stories (with apologies to Mr. Darcy.)

So, male-friend-who-shall-remain-nameless, I think since you went ahead and bought the book, you should go out on a limb and read the damn thing. If for no other reason than that you can share a discussion over a bottle of wine with your girl, and she (and I) will be highly impressed with the level of security you feel in your manhood.

My friend Mike, at the urging of his wife, did so. He liked it and ended up reading more of the series.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 9:28 AM, Blogger Mike Maier said...

Actually, Katharine only urged me to give the book back as she was in the midle of reading it. After lightly ridiculng her 'thinking woman's romance' for months I quickly swallowed my pride as I plowed through the series.

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger Big Mama said...

I owe you a huge debt of gratitude for introducing me to Jamie Fraser.

 

Post a Comment

Tell me 'bout it, Stud. . .

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter