Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Halloween Soundtrack, Vol. II: Big Kids Mix

While creating my kids Halloween mix, I first culled a ton of Halloween-appropriate stuff from our collection. It came out to be about 3.4 hours. I decided that a lot of it was a bit much for the kids, but perfect for the big kids, so i shortened it to create the following 1.6 hour list. Like yesterday's kids mix, this was just what I could find in our collection, and when I looked at the list, i realized there were a ton of things that I would have put on the list if I was allowing myself downloads. Some Ministry, Danzig, and The Cramps; stuff that I used to listen to in the olden days when music came on tapes, but which i never bought on CD. Todd also pointed out that I should have included Motley Crue's "Shout at the Devil."

The Big Kids Mix
  1. Please Mr. Gravedigger - David Bowie
  2. Spooky - Portastatic
  3. Lullaby - The Cure
  4. I Bleed - The Pixies
  5. I'm a Ghost - Ted Leo & The Pharmacists
  6. Hypnotise - The White Stripes
  7. Necromancing - Gnarls Barkley
  8. Dracula's Wedding - Andre 3000
  9. I am Stretched On Your Grave - Dead Can Dance
  10. Hellbound - The Breeders
  11. Psycho Killer - Talking Heads
  12. Scary Monsters (and Super Creatures) - David Bowie
  13. Paint it Black - The Rolling Stones
  14. Tombstone Blues - Bob Dylan
  15. Little Ghost - The White Stripes
  16. Werewolf - Cat Power
  17. Moon Over Bourbon Street - Sting
  18. Leslie Anne Levine - The Decemberists
  19. God's Gonna Cut You Down - Johnny Cash
  20. Willow Garden - Charlie Monroe
  21. Bringing Mary Home - The Country Gentlemen
  22. Mother's Only Sleeping - Bill Monroe
  23. How to Disappear Completely - Radiohead
  24. O Death - Ralph Stanley
  25. I Will Follow You Into the Dark - Death Cab for Cutie
  26. What's He Building In There? - Tom Waits
  27. Eyepennies - Sparklehorse
  28. Nosferatu Man - Slint
On another note, I mentioned the song, "The Ghost of John" and a friendly net-wanderer named Stephen suggested this website that has a version of the song available for download. I went to the website, found the song (albeit not the version I remembered - it's on the flip side of the Teeny Tiny Woman album), and then proceeded to spend an hour looking at all the gems this guy has collected. He evidently collects old Halloween-themed albums. There were quite a few that I remembered from my childhood, and he also included the album covers, and the artwork is total timewarp.

My favorite download: "Sounds to Make You Shiver! Bloodcurdling! Terror! Horror!" (1974). I am pretty sure that my neighbors had this (or one of the other Sounds to Make You Shiver albums) when I lived in New York. We played it in my basement when we made a haunted house.

Wanna find that particular spooky album you remember from childhood? Take a look at The Spooky So Far, an album cover image-linked list of all the stuff he has available for download.

This website is the perfect Halloween timekiller.

5 Comments:

At 12:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy Crap! Did you see the scan of "scar stuff" at the top of his page? That brings me back!

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Yeah, I also really liked the Woolworth's commercial.

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger StephB said...

I thought "I Am Stretched on Your Grave" was a Sinead O'Conner song. Wonder who covered whom?

Also, "Sing Me to Sleep" by the Smiths.

 
At 11:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely Crue, I would add Maiden as well, "Transylvania," and/or "Number of the Beast."

Your kids are destined for cooldom if they are being exposed to Slint at this age.

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Steph - I am stretched on your Grave is a traditional folk song. Lots of people have recorded it, but those are the two most famous, I think. I considered the Sinead version, but the Dead Can Dance is creepier-sounding, I think.

Ah, Stress - good suggestion on the Iron Maiden. Will have to download some for Listmania 2007. Unfortunately, kids come pre-wired to like crap music. I am fighting the good fight, but they still prefer the theme song to WonderPets.

 

Post a Comment

Tell me 'bout it, Stud. . .

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter