Thursday, May 03, 2007

Sign My Fat Ass Up

I wrote here about my workouts, and obviously, if you read Dogwood Girl, you know about my battle with my weight (which is really just a battle with my love for food and drink). Well, I read the most interesting article in The New York Times this morning about the fat-burning effects of interval training. Basically, that means that you alternate spurts of all out exertion with periods of moderate exertion in whatever activity you are doing.

I am so not a professional athlete; The workout for me is putting down the beer and getting my ass off the couch. Then, once I'm there, I just go (run or swim) for at least thirty minutes, but usually for an hour.

Not now! I am convinced that I need a day of interval training during my week. Because, according to the article:

After interval training, the amount of fat burned in an hour of continuous moderate cycling [for example] increased by 36 percent.


Thirty Six Percent. That's a pretty big increase. Sign my fat ass up.

Now I just have to figure out whether I should add the intervals to my runs or my swims. And then i can eat more, right?

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 8:43 PM, Blogger StephB said...

No offense, but who has time for interval training followed by an hour of moderate cycling to burn the extra thirty-six percent?

I don't know about you, but I'm lucky to get just one workout or run in any given day.

And, your ass is pretty darn svelte these days, young lady.

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

My ass is exactly the same as it has been for the last two years. That is the misfortune of food addiction and whacked hormones.

Agreed on the not having time to do that, but i think, unless i understood it wrong, that they were saying that the people burned 36% more compared to people doing comparable exercise afterwards.

So, the point would be that I would lose more doing interval training (even if I walked around afterwards) than if I did regular training. Just saying that if I am going to spend an hour doing something, I may as well burn more afterwards, so i should do that kind of training.

Actually, i almost have time to do that kind of 2 hr training, if I really plan well. The Y takes the kids for up to two hours at a time.

 

Post a Comment

Tell me 'bout it, Stud. . .

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter