Friday, May 02, 2008

Heartwarming Milestone: Rollie's First Bottle of Robo!

Like those other milestones, "First trip to the Emergency Room," or "First Projectile Vomiting Episode," they are so precious. This morning, it was "First Call to Poison Control."

Rollie has a cold and cough. He often wakes up earlier than Todd and me, goes to the bathroom, and then plays in his room until the sun comes up. This morning, I could tell he wasn't feeling good, and he was coughing like crazy, so I made the call to keep him home from school. He was laying on the couch, watching The Flintstones, and just feeling puny. Yes, Mom, his eyes were peaked, too.

It was my turn to get up with the kids, so Todd woke up later and i heard him jump in the shower. Then he came down with the news that someone had gotten into the cough medicine. Now, any parent knows that kids freakin' love taking medicine. It always tastes like Cherry, Grape, or Bubblegum! It's the best! Yes, i realize that kids are not supposed to take the cold and cough medicines anymore, but we never cleaned the old ones out of the medicine cabinet. I mean, who knows? Next month, they might come out with a study that shows children's cough medicine prevents cancer.

We interrogated him for a few minutes, trying to find out how much he took. We had no idea how much was in the bottle in the first place (or how he managed to open a "childproof" bottle.) He kept repeating that he took "four." Four sips? Four chugs? Four teaspoons? Four cupfuls? Sure, his liver might be experiencing irreparable damage, or his heart might be about to explode out of his chest, or he might be about to slip into a coma at any moment, but I still want to throttle him for not being able to express to me exactly how much he took. Mother of the Year!

I got on the phone with the pediatrician's office. When you tell the doctor that your kid ingested poison or got into cough medicine, all you can think is that the nurse on the other end is thinking "why the hell do you still have that medicine in the house, and why weren't you watching your kid? Just another dumbass, crappy parent." They forwarded me to Poison Control. While I waited for them to answer, I looked at the bottle. There was no Tylenol in it. Phew. For Rollie's size, he should have a teaspoon. A cup of it is four teaspoons. 98 pound kids are supposed to get four teaspoons. Rollie only weighs 40 pounds.

Fuck. What the hell is Dextromothorphan.

This is obviously some kind of karmic ass-biting the world is bringing upon me for all the times we shoplifted Robotussin in high school and then drank the whole bottle. I was a terrible kid and now I am the worst mother in the world. What the hell made me think i could be a parent? Just to get it out of the way, I should admit that there was also shoplifting and sniffing of Scotchguard and whipped cream. Maybe a confession here will be considered proactive good karma and the universe won't require Tiller and Rollie to fulfill the "I hope you have one just like you" curse to its full potential.

Poison control guy gets on and asks me questions and then tells me to hold on while they crunch numbers. Seems like forever, and it is not encouraging that Georgia Poison Control is somehow affiliated with Grady Health Systems. I start Googling directions to Children's from the new house.

Guy gets back on the line, and tells me Rollie will be fine. He should not have any other meds today. Drink plenty of fluids. He might be extremely excitable, or really drowsy. (Come on, drowsy!) He is definitely acting a little odd (he called me Tiller and keeps babbling nonsense) and his pupils look like saucers, but he seems okay.

I am so relieved. You forget how much you love the little shits, because you get so tired of the endless questions, and constant chatter, and neverending requests, and the fights, and crying, and messes they make. But when you have ten minutes wondering if you'll be sitting in a hospital that day and if your little man is going to be okay, it puts it all into perspective. You think that sitting on the couch watching cartoons and cuddling with a sick, doped-up kid is pure heaven.

We are sitting here on the couch now, and he is definitely acting squirrely; he keeps repeating "I'm sorry, mama." And I keep telling him that it is okay, that mama and Daddy got mad at him because it scared them, and he just can't ever take medicine without us ever again. Then he says, "I'm sorry I took the medicine, mama." We have been repeating this about every ten minutes for the last hour. I am reminded of the time Mike M. fell off the skateboard and got a concussion. He had no memory of the accident.

He kept asking: "What happened?"
Us: "You have a concussion."
Mike: "How did I get it?"
Us: "You fell off a skateboard."
Mike: "Who the hell let me on a skateboard!!??"

(For those that don't know Mike, he is about 6'8" and should never have been on a skateboard in the first place.) He would seem happy with our answers, and then five minutes later, forgot them and we went through the whole thing again. This happened so many times that da Crease finally wrote "Concussion" and "Skateboard" on his arm and just told Mike to look at his arm when he asked what happened. Still cracks me up to think about it.

The upside to this Robo episode? Rollie is so out of it that I am able to make him watch cartoons I like, rather than the Dora and Diego crap that we usually would have to watch. Right now we are watching The Perils of Penelope Pitstop. He keeps telling me he loves this show. It is his favorite.

Oh, and his cough is gone.

Labels: , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

At 1:41 PM, Blogger Dorothy Gould said...

Hilarious! Don't worry, those guys at PC probably didn't even blink an eye. If it makes you feel better, my Michael got behind the fireplace gate and ingested some of the fake rock stuff that is behind it when he was about 15 ms old. I didn't see the incident, just noticed the dirty hands and mouth. After that I posted the number to PC in my kitchen cabinet.

Funny about the skateboard incident, you'll have to tell that one to James and Will someday.

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

OMG. Michael went into the fireplace? ha! I don't feel so bad. Skateboard incident was hysterical. Thought you would like that one.

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger Dorothy Gould said...

Just for the record, there wan't a fire going at the time, but yeah, I felt like a great mother after that one.....did just like you, called the ped, they make you feel like crap b/c you didn't call PC immediately, and I didn't even have PC's number handy. Well, now I do and of course no one has needed it since.

When I think about all my brother's falls and otherwise, it is amazing he's still in one piece!

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger Mike Maier said...

Ahem.
Ah, the afternoon of the loose truck. I swear to god I thought my joke was funny every time I thought of it, again. That was also when I lived in a closet in a studio apartment to save money that summer.

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Loose truck my ass! Clumsy tall dude is more like it.

Forgot you lived in the closet. . .

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger StephB said...

That first call to poison control just make you feel like an idiot. If it makes you feel better, I had to call because Annika ate monostat (she had the yeast infection diaper rash). Thankfully, though, Dor had just posted the number on her blog : )

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger Mike Maier said...

this is Kat

HILARIOUS about Mike-- totally reminds me of Tom Hanks as Mr Short-term Memory on SNL in the 80s.

And what a traumatic event. Whew- not looking forward to that milestone

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Steph - thanks for the laugh! ha! That is a good one for Annika when she has the prom date there. . .

Kat - More where that gem came from. Just keep reading. :-)

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Camille said...

Whew! Glad the little guy is ok. We haven't had the first call to PC yet, but we have been to the emergency room twice so far (both times with Charla). Interesting that the cough went away. So much for the research that says that stuff doesn't help! It helps if you drink the whole bottle, damn it!

 

Post a Comment

Tell me 'bout it, Stud. . .

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter