Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Apple Book

We started reading "The Giving Tree" to Rollie when he was around two. It was a staple in our evening story time for over a year, was the book that he most loved (so far) and is probably in the top three books that I will forever associate with reading to him as a baby.

There were nights when I was exhausted, and I would think, "Please, God, anything but the Giving Damn Tree." Sure enough, he would toddle over with it in his hands, would always ask for it, the book that he called "Apple book." For months on end, we read it every single night. Todd and I could both recite whole sections in our sleep.

And then one day, just like The Boy in the story stopped visiting the Giving Tree, Rollie started to pick The Giving Tree less and less; His tastes changed, and he wanted to read about trains or cars or Curious George.

Tonight, I asked him to pick out a book to read, and that is the book he picked out. I was pleasantly surprised - I no longer think of it as a monotonous chore, as I once did - and told him I would be in when I finished tucking Tiller in. When I went into his room, he was sitting up, reading aloud the page he was on.

I asked if he was ready to read the book. He said yes, and I laid down next to him and went to take them book from him.

"No, Mama. I'm gonna read it to you."

And he did. And it was pretty damn special.

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

At 8:41 PM, Blogger Dorothy Gould said...

Totally impressed that Rollie can read even before beginning Kindergarden. He will be WAY beyond the curve this Fall. And I know what you mean about the books you can't stand having to read or hear one more time. Sometimes they have a way of disappearing from our home altogether.

Also love the pics from your HS/college days. About you all being so skinny....I hear you, and the crazy thing is, I was just as skinny too, but at the time, thought I was out of shape. What I would give for that body now!!

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger Mike Maier said...

thats awesome. We go through months of the same damn story every night too and nothing else will do until one day it is on to the next thing.

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

We are really proud of him, and it sounds conceited, but proud of ourselves. We made reading a huge priority every night, and we stuck with it, and it has paid off. You don't get a lot of tangible payoffs in parenting, you know? Todd is most responsible, because he took over the reading to Rollie when I was breastfeeding Tiller. Oh, and he also learned a TON from the site www.starfall.com - I think that site made a big difference. A lot of homeschoolers use it.

I have been enjoying the college/hs pics also. Dorothy, you are skinny NOW! You look great! I know what you mean, though. I distinctly remember feeling fat at about that time, because I had put on a freshman 10 pounds. I can't imagine being upset by looking like i used to look, but I know I was.

Mike, what are y'all reading right now? We went through a serious phase of reading the Hairy McClary book. I have a gutter mind, too, because every time he went home with "a bone of his own," I would snicker.

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger StephB said...

We just finished Tales of a 4th Grade Nothing (Judy Blume) and Doug has picked The Motorcycle Mouse for the next one.

If you can tell me how to underline or strikethrough in HTML, my posts would be better.

Yes, first Olympic distance race. And I hadn't practiced the distance ahead of time - which is something I did with the sprint to make sure I could do it.

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Steph, Annika is reading judy blume? Wow. That is great. So, y'all pick the books for her? Or, how do y'all do reading? Rollie would pitch a fit if we tried to pick his book for him. I don't know WHERE he has gotten this stubborn, independent streak.

We also took Rollie and Tiller to get a library card and go every week and get a new couple of books.

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Oh, and Steph, I knew you could do the Olympic distance, even if you didn't. You shoulda just called me!

 

Post a Comment

Tell me 'bout it, Stud. . .

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter