Monday, July 28, 2008

Cathedral Building

Okay, I'm not religious, but I think about God, and I think about my role as a mother, and I often get fed up with the thanklessness and monotony of the job, but I think that after reading this, I am just going to concentrate on the fact that what I'm building isn't meant to have my name on it, and I wouldn't really want it to anyway.

I'm not sure if my non-parental friends will get this, but I know that my fellow parents will, and I hope that it will make their jobs easier some days, just to think of parenting as a bit of grand architecture.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 8:38 AM, Blogger Camille said...

Anne, I absolutely loved this. I sent it to my mother's group, most of whom I haven't spoken to in a year. Thanks for posting it!

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh my goodness. I'm not at the mommy stage where this really applies to me yet but it still made me cry.

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

I'm so glad that y'all liked it. It really gave me a serious attitude adjustment yesterday!

I also like that you can apply it to a lot of different things in life, not just child-raisin'!

Lisa, once the watermelon leaves the vagina, you are irrevocably 'mother.'

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger Dorothy Gould said...

Anne-
Thanks, this is so true and brought a tear to my eye. I never realized all that my mother did until I had children myself. I can understand now why she was the way she was in so many ways; it was pure survival mode. Great post, I will pass it along.

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger RYAN said...

Wonderful! It brought tears to my eyes. Sometimes I need inspiration like that to keep me going in the right direction. Motherhood is the one thing that can knock you down everyday but every morning you're ready to do it all over again.

-Ryan

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Ryan, honestly, there are some mornings where i don't want to get up and do it. :-)

 

Post a Comment

Tell me 'bout it, Stud. . .

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter