Friday, October 17, 2008

A Town With Church Bells Ringing

This past weekend, we spent a couple of days with my parents at the lakehouse. It was cold and windy on Sunday, but we couldn't all six stay cooped up in the little two-bedroom cabin together, so Todd and I took the kids into town to play at the park. Tiller and Rollie ran around on the playground while Todd and I sat on a bench and read. About ten minutes after we got there, it came upon eleven o'clock and the church bells started ringing.

The town is antebellum, set in squares, with a university and many beautifully-restored homes. There is a small downtown area with a few restaurants and bars, two bakeries, and a wonderfully inviting coffee shop.

As I sat in the cool, windy October morning, listening to the sounds of my children squealing on the playground, and the church bells pealing out over the town, I thought, I could live here. I could live in a town with beautiful old houses, a college library, a great coffee shop, a park, and a few bars. I could live in a town with church bells helping me keep time.

And did I mention the new barbecue place? It's Pig in a Pit*. It's good. And with those church bells, you will be able to beat the Baptists to lunch.

*Link provided solely for the purpose of Jason B. seeing what a pink pig mascot looks like riding a four-wheeler.

Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At 9:42 AM, Blogger Nat said...

There are several churches around here that have church bells. I hear them ringing when I am out running. But I usually think, crap, I need to run faster. It is lunch time!

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Really? That is cool. I am sure that some around me have them, but I don't live close enough to one of them to hear it. I think it would be cool to be able to hear it, though.

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I feel that way every time I'm in downtown Milledgeville. If it weren't for my city lovin' husband I would be there in a flash.

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Plan B, Lee. We just ditch these men, pick up some dogs at the pound and bam.

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger Nat said...

OMG take my dog.

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger Jason said...

Oh, dear lord! I much prefer the pig leaning against the pine tree a la senior portrait pose!

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Thought you'd like that, Jason. Yes, nat, if both our husbands die and we move to M'ville, i will take Lola with.

 

Post a Comment

Tell me 'bout it, Stud. . .

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter