Monday, October 06, 2008

Sportsmanship and Toeing the Parental Line

So, i know some of you are waiting for pictures from the costume party, but it is just gonna have to wait. I have a little something to get off my chest. It's called, "What the fuck is wrong with you, you sack of shit parents?"

I guess I should start at the beginning. I should mention first that I was not present for the event in question, Rollie's soccer game. It took place Saturday afternoon. His father took him to the game, while I readied our home for being descended upon by eleven costumed children on Sunday.

Rollie is my oldest, so this is my first experience with parenting a child in organized sports leagues. I played sports growing up, and really credit the experiences for giving me much of my self-confidence, and my sense of sportsmanship. I played tee ball, baseball, softball, soccer, swimming, and tennis, and even recreational basketball, at which i was pretty terrible. I am competitive and love to win, but I have never been a sore loser, and am always a gracious winner, except in drinking games, or games played while drinking (beer pong, pool, darts) where "talking shit" is acceptable, and even encouraged, and where it would never set a poor example in front of a child. I have looked forward to my kids playing sports and learning about teamwork, good sportsmanship, doing one's best, and self-confidence.

So, Rollie is playing soccer for the first time this year. He is in a co-ed, under six league. The kids range in age from 3-6 (a huge age difference actually), and they don't keep score. There are no referees, just the two coaches out on the field with the kids, giving them pointers and running the game. It is all about learning the skills, the rules of the game, and sportsmanship. Or so i thought.

Rollie definitely got a competitive streak from me. he likes to win, and we have been working with him on things like, "it is okay if you lose, as long as you give it your best" and "you can't win them all," and teamwork. One problem we have had so far this year is that not only does he want to take the ball away from the opponent, he also will go after the ball if his own teammate has it, and we are trying to teach him that he needs to work with his team, not against them.

Other than that though, we had so far had no real problems. So, Todd takes him to his game on Saturday. None of the kids on Rollie's team have played before, and there is a kid on the other team that is playing circles around the others. He also played pretty rough, throwing elbows, pulling on shirts and pants, etc. I have never seen any unsportsmanlike behavior called at these games. Either the coaches did not see this stuff, or they just let it go. So, Rollie is pretty competitive and started getting mad, and from what I can tell from what Todd said, he kind of did the same stuff, and told the kid to "stop it." Well, this kid said to Rollie, loud enough for Todd to hear, although it seems that other parents and the coaches did not hear it, "Y'all suck."

Now, as I said, Rollie is my oldest, and it doesn't take long after sending your eldest child to school to realize that they are in for quite an education. While they are learning the ABCs and 123s (or not, but that is a whole 'nother post), they are also learning a ton of really neat sayings and behaviors from the kids in their class who are not the oldest; these kids have older brothers and sisters and just aren't as innocent as the eldest siblings. They use words and phrases like, "You suck." "I'm going to kill you." And lots of stuff about shooting and guns. It is frightening the way that influences on your child are suddenly out of your control.

Back the game: This kid says this stuff, plus the other team is scoring a bunch of goals, and Rollie's team, not so much. And the team is getting pretty discouraged. Which is fine. In my opinion, it is just as important to learn how to lose gracefully as it is to win. But then Todd takes Rollie to school this morning, and one of the kids in his class was on the other team. He is a nice kid, and Rollie and he are friends. Well, his mom asks if Rollie had recovered from the drama of the game and it seems that Rollie was snarky with his friend on Saturday. (I guess out of frustration at losing, not that frustration is in any way an excuse for bad behavior.) She then proceeds to tell Todd some further stuff about the "Y'all suck" kid's behavior on Saturday. Seems as he was substituted out of the game, he came out and loudly proclaimed, either to the parents or in front of the parents, that he was "going to kick that kid's ass." We assume he was referring to Rollie. Apparently, no one said anything. At least this one parent heard the comment. Todd did not. We do not know if any one else heard it, but according to this mother, it was loud enough to hear.

I know what I would do in this situation. What would you do? Would you have said something? As a parent, do you rely on a coach to deal with these things? Is it really best to ignore it? What reason would his parents have for not reprimanding him for this behavior? Would you reprimand someone else's child for saying something like this? And what kind of a household is this child living in that he remotely thinks it is acceptable to say something like that, much less in front of a group of adults?

Am I being over-protective and raising a complete wuss of a child? Is it really so wrong to want my child to learn about respect for others, respect for adults, etc?

Most of all, what kind of a child talks like this at age six or under?

I am fuming and just mad I wasn't there to say something to the sorry excuse for parents that poor kid must have. And if I had, would i be labeled a troublemaker or a rabble rouser? And if I was, would i give a shit?

Labels: , , , ,

12 Comments:

At 10:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As someone who has heard another kid swear like that in a pretty public setting (though not sports) I wasn't shy about saying something. A kindergartner or first grader who swears or threatens someone around me or my kids is going to hear about it. Loudly.

It's folks who demure to others and don't take responsibility for the community (it *does* take a village to raise a child after all) that hurt all our children.

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

I think you are right, Seth. I guess I am kind of angry that I wasn't there to say something, and the parents who did hear it didn't say anything. It is like there is an unspoken expectation that other parents will help watch out for my kids when i am not there. And those parents failed to do that.

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger Mike Maier said...

I agree with Seth. We are trying to gear ourselves up for the world of organised kids sports but we still have time- though I guess James could play in a 3 year old league? To me, that is a huge part of the problem- starting these over-organised teams way,way too early. Actual organised sport with teams of relatively balanced competitors (3 to 6 yr olds together? that sounds like a nightmare)require a great deal of structure and oversight that can provide a fair place to play. That said, I would think about finding this kids parents at the next opportunity and having a word with them, better yet confront them with other parents who agree with you. Again, I just can't believe the level of drama in kids sports today- I feel sorry for any kid out there just trying to have a good time- I mean everyone gets hung up on winning and losing and completely overlooks whether or not these activities are even enjoyable anymore.

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

God, I don't know what to say! Mostly I'm curious to meet these parents! I have to admit I laughed. IT would be funny on TV. Hopefully the other kids won't start telling people they're going to kick someone's ass. And I hope someone tries to kick Rollie's ass. Because Matilda would wreck them!

I don't know if I agree with saying anything to the parents. This is just the beginning of all kinds of things he's going to hear at school. He just needs to know it's not acceptable for HIM to say that, no matter what other kids are doing.

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Agreed Mike, that we put too much pressure on them too early, but then again, the reasoning behind this team that he is on is that it is NOT supposed to be a lot of pressure. Except that there are obviously kids whose parents have been pushing them to excel since they started walking, and those kids are on a different level, skill-wise.

I think I'm with LIsa, though, that cornering these parents is not a good idea. I doubt people who would raise a kid like that would respond well to constructive criticism. And let's be honest, I am NOT the most tactful person.

Concerning the kids just trying to have fun - i think that is the vast majority of them. In fact, until this incident, i was really pleased with how it was going and how much he was enjoying it. And I think this one kid is not representative of most of the kids out there.

Also with lisa on just wanting to meet the parents. I mean, WTF? Who lets their kid talk like that?

I do agree that sometimes you can't control other people, you can just try to teach your own child to respond in an acceptable manner. But in my mind, if you sit back and let a kid talk like that without saying something, it is on par with saying it is acceptable behavior.

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger Camille said...

having been in similar situations- not exactly the language-thing, but definitely seeing inappropriate behavior on the soccer field (roughhousing, etc.), i will tell you exactly how i handled it. i made sure that i was standing right next to the kid's parents (this kid happened to be on charla's team) at the next game. when that sort of behavior started, i waited to see if the parents would say anything. actually, the dad was present at this game, and he did yell out to his son to "back off and stop pushing." had he not said anything, i was fully prepared to tell this parent that i did not think his child's behavior was appropriate. fortunately, i didn't have to say anything...but that is what i had planned to do.

i realize your situation is different- this kid is on a different team from rollie. but, that is what i would do next time. if i heard that kind of thing from a kid, i would say something to the parent- not in a confrontational way, though. more like, "I'm not sure if you heard your son, but he is saying some pretty nasty things to the other children. Are you aware of this?" Most parents, when approached this way, will say, "Oh, I'm sorry. I'll handle that right away." If they don't, then I would talk to the coaches about removing the child from the league.

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Thanks, Camille. That is helpful, especially since I know you have dealt with parents a lot in the classroom setting too.

I doubt my kid will play this other kid again, but I did see the mom who told todd about it today. I was kind of looking for her, but she brought it up before I could mention it. She explained that the mother of the kid actually did say something along the lines of "we don't talk like that, Where on earth did you hear that?" and the kid said "Daddy says it all the time" or something like that. She also said that the rest of the parents who heard it were kind of dumbstruck. And, she thought it reflected badly on the whole team (I told her that no one would judge all the kids based on the behavior of that one) and that she was going to mention it to the coach, just so that he could keep an eye on it. Oh! And also that she thinks the coach might have subbed the kid out and that's why he said it when he came off the field. Anyway, i felt better after talking to her, because I wasn't the only one who was appalled by it.

All of that being said, I am totally bugging todd to point the kid out to me. Just so i can keep an eye on him. I'm sure we'll run back into him every year few years on the soccer field if rollie sticks with it.

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger Lyle said...

Do you remember the playground scene from "The Hand that Rocks the Cradle"?

Just give me the kid's name, is all I'm saying. ;)

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger Nat said...

First, I just wanted to caution you. Now that Rollie is in school you may want to consider what you put on your blog that relates to his school/peers.

I had commentted earlier to relate to your post as we are/have dealing with something similar but a bit more serious at Beau's school but I deleted it before I posted. I know parents who children go to my kid's school read my blog so I don't want to start any bloggergate drama or unnecessary rumors.

But I can be a vague and say what I have done in the past is I have told the child my opinion of his behavior and that it is unacceptable--when no parent is there or if the parent is there I just tell the parent, wow, I don't let my kids do that. Or, when all else has failed I've gone straight to the teacher. The way I see it my job is to be my child's advocate. And since I have one child who has a bit more trouble expressing himself I have to be a bit extra vigilant. I don't care what other parent's think of me. And I don't think I am at all raising a wuss. I am raising a child who will be kind and repectful and make good decisions whether or not I am there.

 
At 7:51 AM, Blogger Ali_Sutton said...

My husband is coaching a Decatur Rec soccer team for kids ages 4-6 and he would say something to a kid on his team for using those words. He would also make the kid sit out of the game and talk to the kid's parents. My son is having a good soccer year this year because he is by far the oldest this time around. He told us on the way home from Saturday's game that during the game he told a kid on the other team "Do you want a piece of me"! We had not heard that during the game but he heard it from us on the way home. If he ever does it again, he will be out of the game! Secretely I had to laugh at his choice of words b/c I have no idea where he would have picked that one up! He's 6.

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Nat - Great point, and actually something I already thought about. I would never call out a kid or parent by name. And if this other parent had not been so helpful, I don't think i would have mentioned her at all. It is definitely something to think about, though, and it has also occurred to me that my child will be able to find me online in the next five years or so. Ugh.

You need to message me and tell me about the drama at his school, though.

Agreed if no parent is there other thhan yourself, you definitely say something. You are the adult and that is your responsibility.

Did you really tell someone "Wow, i don't let my kids do that?" Ha! That cracked me up, because that is less tactful than me, which i thought impossible. :-) How did the parent react?

Another friend of mine had a similar situation (another parent was allowing their kid to do something that her child is not allowed to do.) And she just told her child that she wasn't allowed to do X behavior. That is what I would have done too. It made her friend feel bad, though.

If this was something that happened on my own kid's team, i would definitely have gone to the coach. Since it is another team, I am glad that this other parent is willing to talk to her kids coach about it.

Thanks, nat!

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Ali - Kudos to Trav for coaching. That is quite a job. I think, actually, that part of the problem here is that all of the trash talk was not overheard by the coaches. However, it sounds like their coach did hear some, and that was why the kid was subbed out. And his comment was after being subbed out. So, i think the coaches just weren't totally aware of all of it. Funny about "you wanna piece o me," though!

 

Post a Comment

Tell me 'bout it, Stud. . .

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter