Sunday, October 05, 2008

Dogwood Girl Garden. Again. Plus Cats and the Spawn

Yesterday afternoon, Todd called me out to look at some yard work he was doing. Turns out that one of the shrubs we've been basically ignoring until it is cool enough to prune is actually a really huge fall-blooming Camellia. It has about a kajillion buds on it, and just a few blooms yet.

We spent two years at the old house, not wanting to do too much work on the place since it was for sale, but my whole being was aching to dig in the dirt. And now we are here, and we haven't done a ton to the outside yet. (Well, i haven't. I just did a small garden this spring for tomatoes; Todd did a HUGE job clearing out the ivy in the back third of the yard. No small undertaking.)





It is really fun to go through a whole year's cycle and have surprises pop up. We came in April. Since then, we've had a surprise Weigela (sp?), some shrub with a form similar to the weigela or a Forsythia, but with little white flowers on it that bees LOVE. A number of old daylilies that obviously need to be divided, but that i was just ultra-excited were there. Some kind of spring-blooming fruit tree. A cherry, maybe? Awesomely huge tulip poplars that remind me of the old Saddle Creek house. Tons of Azaleas and Hostas. Probably 6-8 Dogwoods. (Dogwood Girl's natural habitat!) We also have two birdbaths that just came with the house. And a windchime. Anyway, i was v. excited to come across the Camellia and the Pyracantha (I think that's what it is) and I am really looking forward to seeing what the winter garden presents me with - I foresee a lot of Holly and Nandina. There is a lot to be said for buying an older home and it's established garden.

Oh, and because THEY deserve equal facetime, here are my kitty cats, watching birds and chipmunks out the window today.














And a few pictures of something else i've been growing, my ultra-cute* kids. I really couldn't pick just one of these shots.




































*They beat the crap out of each other in a wrestling match seconds after I snapped these shots.

Labels: , , , , ,

9 Comments:

At 7:51 AM, Blogger Nat said...

Beau does that same henchman hug to Carmella and Carmella tries to smile pretty while she is being choked. I don't know anything about no plants. Ask Ryan.

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

yeah, I was amazed i got four decent shots of them, before it devolved into a strangling incident.

I am pretty sure i have the plants identified correctly, except for the forsythia-shaped one that has the white flowers on it. Also, the leaves are not like Forsythia. I guess I should take a picture of it.

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger Nikki said...

I know what you mean - we just celebrated one year in our new house. It's great to see what is going on outside. At our old house we had this HUGE dogwood tree - so pretty, it just made me feel so happy and sunshiny to look at it in the spring (when we're all just begging for a little break from the gray!) I was more sad to leave that dogwood than the actual house. Well, lo and behold this year I see a dogwood blooming right in our back yard! Yippee!!

And...God, your kids are so cute! Honestly, I still think of Rollie as a baby with no ankles - which is how he looked the last time I saw him :(

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger Dorothy Gould said...

We have the same camillias lining our driveway, ours usually bloom in Nov/Dec, but I have noticed their buds are ready to go ealier this year. I leave them alone like you do, save for a bit of pruning back after all the flowers have faded. Post a pic of what you think is a forsythia, we have a huge one in our backyard and I will compare. In NJ that was always the first thing to bloom, sometimes even when there was still patches of snow. It has always been a favorite of mine.

And I agree, all four of those pics are worth posting, I esp like Tiller's Beatles tee shirt.

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Nikki - Yes, so fun to watch all the stuff abloom. And I think the same thing about Piper = she always looks so grown up when I see pictures. Rollie did have so much fat he had no ankles! He also was so fat in the arms that we called him rubber band wrists. AW!

Dorothy - wE do have a forsythia, but the one i can't identify is definitely not that. It has a similar shape though. Different leaves and flowers, though. Concernign the beatles shirt, we were pricessed out, and I was like, Girl, if you gonna rebel, you need you a black rock n roll shirt, and she said, Mama, I love the beatles.

And all was right with the world.

 
At 8:54 AM, Blogger Dorothy Gould said...

Anne, Funny, Sophie loves the Beatles too. Now Terry is introducing her to Devo. Those of us who came of age in the early 80's remember them well!

Don't worry, the princess stage has a definite life span. I found by K most girls are over it. Of course, then you have Bratz to contend with.....

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

They are timeless and often fun. And no bratz will pass the threshold of this house.

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger Dorothy Gould said...

That's what I said, and kept to my word, until a friend gave her one for her birthday. I could see the gleam in her eye regarding the "forbidden fruit" so we let her keep it. It was big for about a day, now it's up on the shelf, awaiting the spring consignment sale. But I think I've done a good job, she told me, "Mom, don't you think Bratz is a horrible name for a doll?" Yes, yes I do.

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Yeah, it would be hard to prevent it as a gift. Much like the princess crap that i am inundated with as of those month. (Apologies to anyone who gave us princess stuff - Tiller loves it.)

Seriously - Bratz? (And with an effin Z no less.)

 

Post a Comment

Tell me 'bout it, Stud. . .

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter