Thursday, June 01, 2006

Okay, I'm just going to come out and ask.

I am sure this will offend someone, or someone will read it and think I'm stereotyping African Americans by even asking, but I have been wondering this ever since moving to East Atlanta back in [we're going to party like it's] 1999. It never occurred to me before, because I had never before lived in a predominately African American neighborhood, and white people just don't seem to exhibit this same behavior. At least, not white people in any neighborhood in which i have ever lived. I'm sure there are some exceptions, but it seems to be a race thing. (Or maybe it is a socioeconomic difference, or even, as local talk radio host Neal Boortz often points out, a "cultural" difference.) Whatever it is, I am truly baffled, and have been for years, but have never brought it up to anyone other than family, out of some semblance of political correctness. Here it is:

WHY DO AFRICAN AMERICANS IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD INSIST ON WALKING IN THE STREET, RATHER THAN ON THE PERFECTLY GOOD SIDEWALKS?

I am truly stumped. I can't see where it would be for their safety. How could the street be more safe than the sidewalk? East Atlanta has an excellent sidewalk system, especially on the more well-travelend thoroughfares, such as Glenwood and Flat Shoals Roads. Can anyone else see any possible logical reason for this?

6 Comments:

At 7:55 AM, Blogger StephB said...

Similar problem in suburbs, but with joggers. With the joggers, the stated reason is that the road is nice and flat and won't give cause for tripping. This is true, to a point, but who cares is you don't trip if some car has run you down - I don't get it.

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger Nat said...

I think people (and joggers) that don't use sidewalks when provided just don't understand how much getting hit by a car hurts. Joggers say that asphalt is "softer" than concrete on the joints. I say a car is harder than both so I stick to the sidewalk.

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Okay, so this is a comfort issue for joggers. I get that. But these people are not jogging. They are walking. Why? why? why?!

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger StephB said...

Maybe they have "back issues" and must stick to the softer surfaces. John Parker was supposed to limit his hard-surface walking because of his back injury.

 
At 8:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bike riders in the suburbs too -- they ride in the road next to each other, not single file, which is so annoying esp when you have like 3 or 4 taking up the whole lane.

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Danielle! Been meaning to say hello - love that you are reading, and let us know if you want to meet next time we have playgroup.

Harris, i think you may be right about this. It might just be habit. Still seems a little weird to me that one wouldn't move over to the sidewalk if it was just one person walking alone, but i could see where you could get set in your ways, and stay out in the street out of habit. Mystery solved! (At least to my satisfaction. Now, go update your blog. I am tired of Richardson St.)

 

Post a Comment

Tell me 'bout it, Stud. . .

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter