Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Long Live the Streak!

The last year or so, I have been lamenting the fact that nothing I have read or listened to has really lit a fire under me. I have to say that still holds true for the listening part - I am not sure if it is because I don't have the free time for true listening immersion that I once had, or if it is that my persepective has changed so radically after having children. (I actually like it when REM does "Shiny Happy Monsters" or Goo Goo Dolls do "Pride" on Sesame Street; I even think the beginning of the Go, Diego, Go song "Rescue Pack" sounds like the beginning of Janes Addiction's Had a Dad. I am sure you see how this is problematic?) Or maybe the music is just totally sucking. It seems that I used to have a love affair with a book or CD every month or so. To be fair, I must say that I am liking Band of Horses and Kings of Leon a lot right now. But am I in love with them? Not really. Anyway, if anyone has been blown away by something they listened to lately, for God's sake, drop me a line and let me know what the fuck it was.

Then, suddenly, I read Ecology of a Cracker Childhood. Magic! I had not been so excited over a book in years. (Well, excepting the Diana Gabaldon Outlander series, which is more of a crack-like addiction than something that sings in my soul. Okay, actually, that is not a fair comparison, but i will have to blog about Outlander some other day. Suffice to say, Gabaldon herself says that the best Outlander description she has read was by Salon.com:
"The smartest historical sci-fi adventure-romance story ever written by a science Ph.D. with a background in scripting 'Scrooge McDuck' comics."

Well said. Check them out. Fun reads.

Whoa. Tangent. Okay, as I was saying, Ecology of a Cracker Childhood excited me in a way no book had in years! I even blogged about it here. My sister and husband were not quite as thrilled with it as I was, but their tastes simply aren't as refined as mine. Todd and I often share books with one another, because while we both have our own interests (I like redemption, he likes the dregs of society stories), there is a common ground where those interests overlap. Todd picked up a used copy of Ferrol Sams' Run with the Horsemen at our local independent bookstore, Bound to Be Read. After he finished it, he mentioned that I might like it. I opened it, and a streak was born!

Run with the Horsemen was like reading Mark Twain for the first time. The protagonist, Porter Osborne, Jr. is as puckish as Huck and as smart as Holden Caulfield. Did I mention that he is laugh-out-loud funny? I may be in love with a fictional character. (Wouldn't be the first time.) Porter struggles with adolescence, and education, race, and the realization that his parents might not be as perfect as he thought they were. And it all takes place in 1930s Depression-era Georgia, so it is close to my heart. Todd and I both couldn't believe that we had never heard of it before, and wondered why it was never taught in literature classes. (This would have to take place at the college level, though, because Porter is quite preoccupied with breasts, wet dreams, and penis size.) For the second time in months, I was sad to see a book end.

Then, when I visited my friends James and Dana (a voracious reader herself), I looked up at their bookshelf to see Run with the Horsemen, and come to find out that they also love Ferrol Sams' Porter trilogy. Trilogy? Trilogy!? Praise the Lord! There are more of them! We have purchased the second book, The Whisper of the River, and if it is half as good as the first, I will write about it here, I am sure

I picked up The Secret Life of Bees, with not a lot of hope for a repeat of the pleaurable reading experienced during Run with the Horsemen, but I was wrong. Sue Monk Kidd's novel is smart, beautifully written and echoes with the emptiness an absent mother could leave in a daughter. It deals with being Southern, and with race, but also with the universal theme of love and finding it in the most unexpected places. Kind of like the way that the riches of a good read are found in the most unexpected places. Long live the streak!

7 Comments:

At 8:25 PM, Blogger StephB said...

Hmmm, will have to check out the Ferrol Sams. He is famous, though, so I would have thought that we would have read him (or Steinbeck!) in college, but no . . .

I didn't like the Sue Monk Kidd book. It was OK, but it didn't make my heart sing. I'm glad that you found some good stuff to read. : ) Me, I'm rereading the 11th Janet Evanovich mystery in anticipation of starting #12 (Stephanie Plum series).

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

I think i did read Steinbeck in college. Sorry you didn't like the bee book. Why did you not like it? Anything in particular?

A lot of people on my due date forum like the stephanie plum series. i might have to pick one up, but I just never really like mysteries that much.

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Mike Maier said...

Anne- word to Outlander but I'm going to have to go back in time and kill those two if she doesn't finish that series soon. Clare's got to be 60 something...
Mike

 
At 3:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay, I'm buying the cracker book.

 
At 6:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For the Ferrol Sams fans, his book was chosen as part of the Atlanta Reads campaign this past summer. He'll be at a series of events in the city from Sept 3-Sept 10 including the Decatur Book Festival. Check out www.bcaatlanta.com for more details. Here's your chance to get your book signed.

 
At 11:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was searching for questions about Run with the Horsemen for our book club meeting and found your post. (Yep, we're too lazy to come up with our own questions.) My mother has been urging me to read Ecology, and I've been urging her to read Run, so your post was just right. I'll give it to Mom and then we'll trade books. I'm going to hand out Run with the Horsemen every time someone moans about how bad modern times are and how good the old days were.

I (and the book club) also read Bees and I didn't love it. The book's condescending attitude toward the girl's nanny kind of spoiled it for me.

Our next book will be Gods in Alabama.

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

SoPoGal, i am also SoPo! V. cool to get the anonymous comments. Don't get that many on the personal blog.

I would love to hear your book club questions, when you complete them. IMO, Ecology definitely blows bees out of the water. Compared to Horsemen, they are neck and neck for me. I LOVED them both. Am moving on to the other two Sams books in the trilogy soon.

Concerning bees: Agreed concerning nanny condescension. That is a good point, but I think it also was interesting that the book portrayed many different African American female characters. I definitely didn't feel that any of the African American characters were "flat."

Do you have a public book club? I have not read Gods, but it is on my (endless) list.

 

Post a Comment

Tell me 'bout it, Stud. . .

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter