Monday, October 30, 2006

Halloween Soundtrack, Vol. I

Volume I: Kids Mix
Coming up with a kid-friendly Halloween mix is not as easy as it seems. There is a fine line between Halloween-themed and downright nightmare-inducing; Halloween is not exactly full of kid-friendly themes, nor is our CD collection. If the list is really for the kids then the songs also have to be fun, too, which is quite the challenge - Kid-friendly, fun to listen to, and yet still dark enough to pass as Halloween listening fare. With the exception of Monster Mash, the rest of the song were already in our CD collection, so I didn't have to download any others. If I were going the downloading route, I most definitely would have included Thriller. Duh.

Without further ado, i give you my Halloween mix, kid-style. . . .
  1. Worms (The Pogues)
  2. Monster Mash (Bobby "Boris" Pickett)
  3. My Doorbell (The White Stripes)
  4. Strange (R.E.M.)
  5. People Are Strange (Echo and the Bunnymen)
  6. Superstition (Stevie Wonder)
  7. Do the Vampire (Superdrag)
  8. Goolie Get-Together (The Toadies*)
  9. I Walked with a Zombie (R.E.M.)
  10. Ghost Town (The Specials)
  11. O Death (Camper Van Beethoven)
I also really looked around for a recording of the song "Ghost of John," which I learned in first grade and is the epitome of Halloween music for me, but could not find it anywhere online. It goes a little something like this:
Have you seen the ghost of John?
Long white bones and the rest all gone,
ooh, ooh, wouldn't it be chilly with no skin on?
Oh, well. Maybe i will teach the kids to sing it (along with the zombie dance that goes with it). Talk about a horror show.

As always, comments with your suggestions for the list would be more than welcome.

*I do not actually listen to the Toadies, but this song was on some Saturday morning cartoon CD someone gave me as a gift, and it seemed appropriate, so I stuck it in there.

6 Comments:

At 5:12 PM, Blogger Stephen said...

"Ghost of John" is one of the many short songs on the record "Selections from The Haunted House and Other Spooky Poems and Tales" (1970). You can download it (and tons of others) here:
http://scarstuff.blogspot.com/2006/02/scholastic-records-haunted-house-1970.html

Enjoy!

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

uh, thanks, Stephen, whoever you are, Oh masked man of Halloween.

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger Stephen said...

Dogwood girl,
The Ghost of John song is only about 10 seconds long. It's part of the collection of songs and poems on side 2 of the Haunted House record. I don't think there's any more to the song than that, but if there is, let me know. Anyway, my kids really like that collection and I used to listen to it when I was a kid.

 
At 12:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I freakin love this! Not just b/c of the two REM songs...Walk With a Zombie is great BTW (love the Bill Berry backing vocals).

I love the Superdrag song most of all. Funny to think that they opened for Sloan....

 
At 2:39 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Ah, Jas, glad you like it. Want me to burn you . . er, I mean, Elle, a copy?

 
At 3:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, please!

 

Post a Comment

Tell me 'bout it, Stud. . .

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter