Friday, October 27, 2006

The Perfect Run

That is the name of my most-perfected (so far) running mix on my IPod. Total misnomer, because I am not completely happy with it, but it is the best I have come up with so far. I made it a conservative 40 minutes, because I have never run a 5K before, and who knows? I might actually be slower than normal with the hills in Grant Park. I just don't know what to expect, but would hate to run out of music at the end. Total buzzkill. So, I stuck the Chumbawamba song in there as a safety, but hope to be done before that. It all comes down to me having no idea what my "race pace" is or any of that shit, so I am winging it. And since I don't know anything about pace, don't bother yapping to me about how listening to music will ruin my pace, or throw me off or whatever. I don't get it.

All that being said, the real reason I'm putting the list on here is that I am totally burned out on all of my running lists (I have seven different lists) and so I am hoping people will comment with suggestions for other songs to add in the future.

Without further ado:
  1. Save it for Later - The English Beat
  2. All Star - Smash Mouth*
  3. Elevation - U2
  4. Dare - Gorillaz
  5. Mama Said Knock You Out - LL Cool J
  6. What You Waiting For? - Gwen Stefani*
  7. 50Ft Queenie - PJ Harvey
  8. B.O.B. - OutKast
  9. Where's Your Head At - Basement Jaxx
  10. Tubthumping - Chumbawamba
* I don't want to hear it.

I also must add here la piece de resistance: The Cooldown song. . . on each and every one of my running mixes, I include a cooldown song. It is always the same. It is The Geto Boys' "Damn It Feels Good to Be a Gangsta." It never, and I mean never, fails to make me smile at the end of my run. The absurdity of me, the 30-something white soccer mom, listening to that song cracks me up.

p.s. I am feeling kind of listful lately (the opposite of listless, I suppose, which is good) and so I will probably be posting a few different playlists in the next few days.

12 Comments:

At 5:18 PM, Blogger StephB said...

I think you've already got my list. I know you don't like Christina Aguilera, but the "No Other Man Like You" and "Stronger" are both good paces and fun to run to with silly lyrics. Same with "Stupid Girlz" by Pink.

Also, don't forget 1980/90s Prince and Morris Day/The Time. "Jump Around" by House of Pain. "The Game" by Crystal Method. "I See You Baby" by Groove Armada.

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

I will have to check those Aguilera songs out. To be fair, she has talent. Just not my style, but I am willing to bend the rules for a good running mix. Which Prince songs do you like? I have Jump Around on one of my lists. Thanks!

 
At 11:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You might as well add Eye of The Tiger and wear a grey sweatsuit and run the steps in Philly.

I applaud your exercise, but Tubthumper and All-Star. I am utterly surprised...

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger jasonaut said...

Eye of the Tiger is a good one to have.

However, the ultimate running song of all time is...
Jump by Van Halen, from 1984. I try to listen to it before every race and have it on all workout lists.

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger StephB said...

"Let's Go Crazy" "Baby I'm a Star" "Batdance" "My Name is Prince" (the last one is not as fast, but still good for running) "Jungle Love" by Morris Day and the Time
-
You have to bust out of your comfort zone for good running music. Hello, I have "Golddigger" on my list.

Other stuff I'll bet you haven't thought of: "All about the Benjamins" (P-Diddy, the mix with Dave Grohl), "Real Big"

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Pray tell, Jason, what exactly would YOU put on YOUR list? All REM and six degrees of separation thereof? Seriously, consider it a dare. make me a list.

Jasonaut - will have to add Jump. Good one.

Steph - I am adding Baby I'm a Star to one. Might just be a good one for me, as I love that one. Is Golddigger good? I like the song. might do that one too. Jesus Walks is on one of my lists as a warmup.I have no idea what those other two are but will check them out for possible download.

Thanks all!

 
At 7:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Superchunk - The Question is How Fast. Upbeat tempo and, well, its about going fast.

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Ah, Reese, oh ghost from my past, come back to haunt me on Halloween. . .

fuck me. . . i shoulda thought of The question is how fast. Damn.

 
At 12:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK dear friend. I am unsure of the parameters you were shooting for and now realize that my mix is more geared toward "fast driving music", but here goes:

1. I Wanna Be Sedated - The Ramones
2. Wildflower - The Cult
3. Heartbreaker- Led Zeppelin
4. Master of Puppets - Metallica
5. Final Countdown - Europe
6. Unchained - Van Halen
7. Welcome to the Jungle - GNR
8. Margin Walker - Fugazi
9. She Says What She Means - Sloan
10. Finest Worksong - REM
11. Jumping Someone Else's Train - The Cure
12. Tusk - Fleetwood Mac
13. Elevate Myself - Grandaddy

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Interesting, Jason. a Few of them off the top of my head, I can tell are probably a little too fast for me - Master of puppets, I wanna be sedated.

Finest worksong and Margin Walker are on two of my running lists.

Might have to add some of the others and try them out - Thanks!

p.s. Tusk? Your witchy wife is rubbin off on you.

 
At 3:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura wants Gold Dust Woman to be played at her funeral...no joke.

The version of Tusk I was thinking of was the live one with the USC marching band.

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

I am just joking wtih you. I like the Tusk, but not sure if it would be good for running, plus I don't have a copy of that. LOL about Gold Dust Woman.

 

Post a Comment

Tell me 'bout it, Stud. . .

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter