Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Still Another Sign That I am a Better Than Average Parent

I was in the grocery store this morning, pushing the cart out the sliding doors to the parking lot. One of the guys in charge of retrieving the carts from the cart corral walked out to the car with me. He asked me if I liked the car kind of buggy. (I call it a "race cart;" It is the buggy with a car on the front of it for the kids to sit in, and it is a fucking bitch to navigate a grocery store with one of them, but it beats having them throwing your groceries out of the cart while you are not looking.)

I said, "Yeah, I guess so. Why?"

He told me that, on weekends when the store is crowded, most parents will wait until a race cart becomes available before doing their grocery shopping.

I just stared at him, then "Are you kidding?"

"Nope." We both laughed, then shook our heads in dismay.

Really, people. Don't you have something better to do with your time on Saturdays than hang out in the cart area of your local Kroger, just to appease your fucking spoiled brat of a child? That's ridiculous.

When I get to the store, if there are no racecar buggies available, I tell my kids to suck it up and ride the old-fashioned way. They bitch and moan, but there is a lesson here for them. They learn that they are not the goddamn center of the universe, that there are times in life when you just have to deal with a little disappointment. Not a bad lesson to learn on a Saturday at Kroger.

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

At 4:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are the best parent in the world. my wife is at 37 weeks now. I think I might just go and print out your blog as my parenting manual.

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

ha! i am so not the best parent. It is the hardest job ever. But i know i am definitely not the worst parent, either.

You are getting close! Do you know what you are having?

 
At 5:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

we're having a girl. Very excited. I didn't mean to sound like I was blowing smoke up your ass. But any parent that realizes how to treat their children like you do, and goes out and gets toasted on occasion is tops with me. We'll have to meet sometime. maybe for an AU game.

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Congratulations. Girls are way fun, and they really work their daddies, so watch out.

Glad you approve of my "hardass parenting, hardass drinking" parenting style. I don't do AU games, unless they are playing UGA. Luckily, Todd and I are going to the game in Athens this fall. Unfortunately, I have to sit with the fucking Auburn fans. :-)

 
At 6:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 6:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dont worry I hate AU fans too, but Ill still buy you a brew.

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger Nat said...

Are you kidding? People wait for those things. I absolutely hate them. They are impossible to maneuver.

Doesn't matter because I am such a mean parent that the car cart has not been a part of our shopping excursions for at least a year. Carmella never cared--always wanted to walk and Beau just liked the car cart better because it was easier for him to escape from.

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Well, some of my best friends and family are AU fans, but that doesn't mean I want to sit with them at the game. Unless we kick their asses like last year, in which case, that might actually be pretty enjoyable.

If we ever meet, you can totally buy me a beer.

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Agreed, nat. I also hate them. Like I said, they are a menace on the aisles. However, they do keep my kids from ruining the veggies. My kids are as smart as the next kids, except that they haven't figured out that they are allowed to get out. I do occasionally let Rollie walk, but only by bribing him with the thought of a cookie at the end of a peaceful shopping excursion.

 
At 9:49 PM, Blogger Kristin Kong said...

At least you don't have the stupid carts with the TV's in them that cost $1. Chase doesn't even ask. We tried it when it was a free trial and then I reamed out the manager when he asked if I "loved the TV cart?". I said absolutely not! I despise it! I mean really don't our kids watch enough TV. Do they really need to watch Bob the Builder in the grocery cart?

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

I cannot believe they have carts with tvs in them. that is just crazy.

 

Post a Comment

Tell me 'bout it, Stud. . .

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter