Tuesday, May 08, 2007

What Am I? Fifteen Years Old?

I got mad at my hair yesterday. I should say that over the past month or so, I have become increasingly dissatisfied with the gnarled knots I have to untangle every day in the shower. I haven't had a haircut in . . . well, I don't remember the last time I had my hair cut. I don't know why it is, except that one can't very well walk into a salon with two kids and spend hours having a cut and color, so I have just given up on my hair. My life is a constant vying of interests, hobbies, and duties for my precious time, and, well, I'm just not a very vain person. Proud to a fault, yes. Vain about my physical appearance? Not really. My hair gets short shrift every time. Not that I don't like having a new cut and color. I love it. But i hate the time involved in the process, so it gets pushed to the back burner and neglected for months on end.

Except that maybe I haven't given up at all. With due respect to my stylist, Robin, who is first and foremost my friend, I have to say that I didn't do a bad job with a pair of kitchen scissors and my own two hands.

Who is snickering right now?

The funny thing is, almost every girl I know has done this at one time or another, but most of them grew out of it in high school. Not me. I wait till the day before I start my period (coincidence? I think not) and then I grab the scissors. I don't know why, but i don't have a fear of my hair looking stupid. If anything, I kind of relish the thought of the change, good or bad.

It really doesn't look bad, though. I whacked off about three inches (I am guessing), and since I have curly hair, I can get away with it. Todd didn't even notice that I had cut it at first (men!) and then when he did, he didn't realize it was an autostyle. He is going to have to clean up a couple locks in back, but he has been doing my color in a box for the last 6 months or so. I think he can handle it.

And it cost me nothing. I am the master miser.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

At 2:11 PM, Blogger Mike Maier said...

i know its different for a guy who just shaves his head, but I think its nice to have the partner 'clean up the kitchen' as Katharine calls the back part. I haven't paid for a haircut in 10 years with the exception of our wedding.

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Nat said...

I use to have a fear of hairdressers as I always hated my hair after I got it cut. So I cut my own--for years--even self colored and highlighted. Now that my sister is a hairdresser she just comes to my house and cuts and highlights it for me. I don't get much of a say as I can say what I want her to do but if she disagrees she just does whatever. My hair has been on the learning curve with her and I have just learned to not care so much about my hair. As long as it is long and some shade of blond I really don't care what she does to it.

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger StephB said...

As I read the first part, I was thinking, "hm - time for a haircut" because Annika's hair does the same thing when her ends get dry and need a trim.

Wow, you are a brave soul to cut it yourself. I'm thinking about the color in a box also because who has time/$ to get it done at the salon. I do like to get it cut there, though, because it's so nice to sit and do nothing for 30 mins.

Maybe we should all learn to do trims and then we can do each other (and kids).

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Yeah, mike, it is different for guys, but I think i am less girlie than the average girl.

Natalie, you have the best of both worlds with your sister. I am way jealous. Wish My sis was a hairdresser instead of a nurse. I mean, my hair needs her WAY more than those damn sick people.

Steph - You say "brave," and I just think that I am a more rash decision maker. I guess some people might be mouthing "crazy" and twirling an index finger at their temple, too.

I love the color in a box idea - it is just really hard to cover gray with it, and the problem comes when you try to change colors.

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger Nat said...

Okay, Anne you should totally use my sister. She is at Red Door Salon--somewhere pretty close to you. She is an apprentince so her prices are very cheap--for color too. Just tip her well. Plus if you go to her there one time you maybe able to convince her to come to your house and do it. I think she charged Tara for cut and highlights $75 dollars and Tara was very happy. Red Door also has a kids salon.

 
At 2:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know why you won't just let me cut your hair. I'd be really good at it. :)

Can't wait to see the hair. Did you dye it too? I mean, did T dye it?

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Nat, if i was going to pay anyone, it would be Robin. I am just that loyal. Nothing against your sister, of course.

Lisa, I would totally let you cut my hair! You have never asked. Haven't dyed it yet, but will probably soon, as the brides [of frankenstein] are showing.

 

Post a Comment

Tell me 'bout it, Stud. . .

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter