Friday, March 23, 2007

The Blazer Assuages Guilt


After my post on Wednesday, I started thinking: Wow, my husband might not be so jazzed about my discussing past smooches on my website, now that I am like a married woman and supposedly-upstanding citizen. It also occurred to me that the cheated-on ex might read that lovely little tidbit, but i am assuming that there is some kind of statute of limitations on how long after an incident one can still justifiably consider oneself wronged, especially when we haven't been together in almost ten years, and for the last six of those years the perpetrator (that would be me) has been happily married to someone else.

It's not like I've ever been fired for what I've written, but I have had a couple instances where people were not too happy about what I had written. Feelings have been hurt. People have worried that feelings would be hurt if certain people who don't read Dogwood Girl ever did come across it. Let me say for the record that I love my family and I love my in-laws, and truth be told, they are the absolutely most wonderful in-laws I could imagine having, even if they don't serve me wine on holidays. They are just very different from my own family, and it is in those differences that I often find humor and feel compelled to write about it. I am pretty open about what I say on Dogwood Girl, and I am not ashamed of anything I have written.

There are some things that I haven't written about, though; I am proud of the restraint I have shown in some cases. There have been times where it would feel really good to give someone a good razing, but diplomacy wins out, at least occasionally, with me. This is some great peak of maturation that I never thought I would begin to scale; I am not known for my tact. I am not known for my compassion, sympathy, empathy, sensitivity, or any pussy adjectives like that. I don't mean to hurt feelings, but I do mean to be honest and truthful and direct, and that often means that people get hurt. Oops.

Anyway, I was thinking about this when my husband came home from a work thing the other night. Todd is in advertising, and when ad people get together, they drink. Todd came in a little merry and I knew something had put him in a good mood. I wrote a while back about Todd's weight loss. (I am very proud of him.) Well, since he has lost the weight and started wearing the blazer, he is really starting to wrack up the female attention. Some of my married male friends have mentioned that girls come onto them more since they married than they did before. This is strange, but I can see it. Girls are bitches for the most part. Anyway, a friend of Todd's was talking to some girls at the party and I don't know the context of the whole conversation, but he said, "Are there any cute guys here?" Guess who one of them thought was the cutest guy there? Yep, that'd be my husband. I could tell Todd felt good about it (who wouldn't?) and maybe a little sheepish.

Me? I have no problem with it. I think he deserves every last bit of it and I like to see him feel good about himself. Also? It means that if he is at work parties talking to young girls (did I mention she was a young thing?) who think he is cute, then I can pretty much talk about whatever the fuck i want on here, with no guilt.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 7:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you got that right. Talk about whatever you want to. I can't say that the pic of your husband looks like hes happy, but what do I know. It could be worse, I haven't told my wife I blog yet. I tell her she can read anything on the computer she wants to, and she does, so I'm sure she'll figure it out. I think I'll wait until after the birth of our child. Dont want any un needed hormones influencing her beat down on me.

 
At 8:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"honest, truthful, and direct".......nahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Should be on your headstone!

Todd - go get 'em tiger! (no AU reference, there)

p.s. I found my ring in the laundry hamper

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Kortez- thanks. You are good - my husband wasn't unhappy there. We were just very tired and I was testing out a new camera and that is his "humoring me" face. You should tell your wife. Be understanding of her hormones. They are rough during pregnancy. For your own good, though, you might want her to find out before she gives birth, because that is when the hormones really get crazy.

Jas - SO glad you found the ring. Are you threatening me, with that headstone comment? :-) How are you feeling? Is the crud gone?

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger Mike Maier said...

Sweet blazer. Rrrrrrr...

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Is that Mike or Kat? Todd would probably prefer it coming from Kat. BTW, he wears it with Vans. v. cute. Totally speaks to the 14-year-old in me.

 

Post a Comment

Tell me 'bout it, Stud. . .

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter