Thursday, March 01, 2007

Call Me Tipper

Yesterday, Tiller and I dropped Rollie off at school, then headed for the gym. We were coming through Oakhurst and were on 2nd Ave. We stopped at the four-way stop at Oakview. This intersection is across a two-lane street (Oakview) which has a grassy median in the middle. So, when you are crossing on 2nd, you go across one lane of traffic, then there is an area that cuts between the grassy median, and then you cross the other lane of Oakview. We were the first car there, then two other cars pulled up: One at the Stop to our left, and one at the Stop directly across from us. There was no one at the Stop sign to our right. We began to cross and as I reached the beginning of the middle of the intersection, a truck (Ford F150-sized, I'd say) came blowing through his Stop sign on my right. He was going about 40-45 miles and hour and didn't even slow for his Stop sign. I slammed on my brakes, and skidded a few feet in the median section, coming to a stop only a few feet from where the truck passed. I sat on the horn, taught Tiller how to give the bird, and then started shaking. If we had been one second faster, the truck would have hit the front, right side of my van. Another two seconds, and it would have t-boned us on Tiller's side of the van. Either way, it would have fucked us up, if not killing her.

I spent the next hour or two just thinking about the tenuousness of our existence on this earth, the preciousness of a baby girl, and how quickly the rug can be pulled out from under us, control completely out of our reach. I was FREAKED. Today, I am not so shaky and wigged out, but still kind of scared and angry when I think about it.

Anyway, we picked up Rollie from school and found out that he has been acting out in class. He is hitting, kicking, pushing, and won't stay in line. They also informed me that Rollie was the most difficult child in the class. Great. Just what a conscientious mother wants to hear. Sure, the teacher added that it was most likely his age - he is the youngest child in his class, and he is within a week of the birthday "grade cutoff" in the state of Georgia.

We have been seeing some of the same behavior at home. Todd and I have been at our wits' ends (albeit, our wits don't encompass that much distance) trying to figure out the origin and the solution. Along with this more physical behavior, he has been saying things like,
"I wanna be first."

"I win."

"I wanna be in front."

"You are a joke!"
Rollie continues to bump and cut in front of us. Not a big deal for us, as I know who is going to win if we have a Rollie/Daddy collision; A little bit bigger deal when wobbly, only-walking-for-a-few-months Tiller is the one being bumped and cut off. We have tried taking away privileges and toys. We have tried consistent time-outs. We have, on occasion, tried spanking for extremely blatant and strong physical behavior. Nothing has worked.

He has also been asking us repeatedly "Mama, why do cars bump?" We would answer, "It is not nice to bump." We had long conversations about how good cars do not bump, and that bad cars bump, and that we will not accept the behavior. In one ear and out the other. He still asked about why they do it, as if I am capable of explaining good and evil?

It became obvious to me after talking to the teachers yesterday, and giving good thought to his behavior at home. It is the influence of that seemingly-innocuous, Oscar-nominated movie "Cars." His favorite movie. The one he once watched three consecutive times in one day while sick on the couch. The one that is going to break his heart, because we are not letting him watch it anymore.

Yep, it seems that Rollie is questioning us about the behavior, because he can't watch the movie and tell that some of the cars are good, and some are bad. He is not capable yet of drawing that line between acceptable and non-acceptable behavior. And so it begins: We have now censored what he watches to the extent that we are not allowing him to watch something that he wants to watch. As I type, he is laying on the couch watching that little PBS pussy, Caillou. Sigh.

Wow. Call me Tipper.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

10 Comments:

At 4:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You do what you want....I'm still going to constantly remind him "If you ain't first, you're last".

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger StephB said...

Caillou is a whiny little bastard. I hate him. Seriously, I don't let Annika watch - we have enough whining at home.

You could try the "good boys get good things and bad boys get bad things" strategy combined with lots of go-to-your-room time. That has worked well here. I thought Cars had a good/bad message but maybe it's too subtle for 3 yrs old. Maybe some good princess movies would do it - you can always figure out the bad guys/girls in those.

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger StephB said...

Oh, and, Tipper's kid was just stupid because I know that I read my Prince lyrics and knew to turn the sound down when "Darling Nikki" came on.

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

That's fine, dear. Kids don't really need consistency. I think they like upheaval, constant change, and mixed messages from their parents. Keeps them from getting bored.

Steph - agreed on Caillou - i was really joking about that. I just can't stomach him. "Good boys get good, bad boys get bad" just hasn't been working. NOTHING was working. He wanted to be a car and be first and bump people and that is all he wanted. He sat in timeout almost ALL afternoon day before yesterday, and every time, he would come back out and repeat the behavior. I know we have talked about the Dr. Phil "finding the currency" thing, so i think that sending him to his room is not a bad idea, except that we have the house on the market and I am sure you know what a kid can do their room if left unattended for ten minutes.

Concerning the movie - yes, to you and me, there is an obvious good guy and bad guy, but he is just not capable of grasping the nuance of behavior the cars exhibit in the film. (I can't believe I just wrote that about a kids' movie.) Anyway, if it continues, I may send him to his room (that is what we do for needless crying and whining now) and see what happens. If he is alone, he doesn't have anyone to bump. (Bumping is what he calls it when he bumps into people.)

Steph - If that last statement isn't the cutest thing you have ever said, I don't know what is. THat is adorable that your parents set a boundary like that and you followed it! I never would have, although my parents didn't seem to realize what they were saying. The thing is, I didn't realize until much later what he was saying in that song. I just thought it was fun to dance to.

 
At 8:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL, Todd! Seriously, Anne, you might be one of the most competitive people I know...and you're going to squelch that in your son? Just teach him that physical hitting, bumping, whatever is wrong. Don't worry about him wanting to be first. That's a good thing, IMO.

 
At 9:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Exactly, Camille!

You let him watch too much Caillou, and he's gonna want to be a whiny balding french canadian....

And if you allow that, then the terrorists have already won.

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger Lyle said...

See, this is making me paranoid about any future videos that we might want to get for Rollie or Tiller. I mean, if we get them a "Muppet Show" DVD, is Tiller going to start karate-chopping people like Miss Piggy? Will Rollie start throwing fish around like Lew Zealand?

I'm trying to remember what we watched as kids (when we were Rollie's age, I mean) and wondering how it affected our behavior. Of course, we didn't have VCRs or DVD players, so it was whatever was on TV I guess. Besides "Sesame Street" and the "Electric Company," what else was there?

 
At 2:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn Canadians.

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger purplegirl said...

mine was also the youngest (but brightest) in class (at least a whole year and some months younger than the oldest kid in class) -- he acted up all through the school year (crawling under the table, talking incessantly, not paying attention, talking, talking, talking) -- we ended up making him move to a lower grade three weeks ago and he's been acting magnificently ever since. and he's still the top in his class academically. sometimes, you just need to let boys mature at their own pace. mine's very intelligent but very, very immature. having much older boys telling him what to do didn't help at all either. now, he's a happy camper where he's not being expected to sit still for long periods of time and most everyone has the same maturity level as he has.

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Interesting PurpleGirl. . . In what grade did you make this decision? I'm just curious. And thanks for the comments - it's nice to see new people reading.

 

Post a Comment

Tell me 'bout it, Stud. . .

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter