Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Worst. Run. Ever.

You can't even call it a run, because i was so freakin' slow. I ran at my in-laws, in eastern middle Alabama, which is usually awesome, because they live in the middle of the woods, basically, in a huge neighborhood. Not a lot of cars, lots of wildlife, lake views, etc.

Yesterday, though, I had to go at almost noon. It was hot and muggy, and I didn't bring water. They didn't have any water bottles lying around, and so I figured I would stop and get water at the fire station, the golf clubhouse, and/or the driving range. Turns out they don't have spigots on buildings around golf courses. I guess it is all on a sprinkler system. My first three miles were fine, maybe even faster than normal pace, but man, when I figured out there was no water to be had, and I still had three miles to go, with no chance of finding water between there and home, I was just not feeling it. Oh, and I got lost. Again.

I finished, with much walking, much cramping, and a fuckload of cussing at myself.

Lesson learned.

6.2 Miles = 1hr 28 min 31secs (14 minutes 17 seconds pace)
Catcalls from construction workers: 2 (What were they thinking? I must have looked like death eatin' a ham sandwich.)

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 8:11 PM, Blogger Nat said...

Death likes ham? Who knew? Wait, is that because of the whole colven hoof/devil thing? Nevermind, it totally makes sense that Death would like a ham sandwich.

Sorry your run sucks. I plan on a long one tomorrow and I am sure I will be singing a similar song and eating ham or something like that.

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Ha! Good old southern sayin; "Death eatin' a ham sandwich." You can also say, "Death warmed over."

Good luck tomorrow. You will be fine. I was just. . . not happy with the heat and no water. Not too smart on my part, but then I've never been known for my smarts. Always my beauty and sweet disposition. :-)

 
At 6:32 AM, Blogger StephB said...

Holy shit - it was HOT at noon yesterday. No wonder your run was hard! Next time, stash a bottle of water (sealed) somewhere on your route or plan the loop by someone's house who will let you borrow the hose.

But, you finished, so good for you. : )

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Yeah, it was completely stupid, but it was the only time i could manage to go. My MIL is very into breakfast.

I actually eyed some houses for their hoses, but it is kind of remote there. I would be nervous just going up to someone's house, and I didn't see anyone out in their yard, where I could just ask them.

good idea on the stashing, but that would require a)having sealed bottled water and b) planning. :-)

 

Post a Comment

Tell me 'bout it, Stud. . .

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter