Sunday, August 05, 2007

Strange

It is very strange to watch the bonding experience between a 22-month old little girl, and a 91-year-old man. They don't have a lot to talk about, and she can't enunciate well, and he couldn't even hear it if she did. They both like food. And they hug a lot, which is not at all how I remember my grandfather being with me and my sister when we were little. He keeps on telling her that she is such a sweet little girl that we should've named her "Love." Who is this man?

This was the man that when you told him, "Goodbye! I love you, Pop!" would grunt in reply. I think he is either dying or possessed. The funny thing about him, though, is that I honestly think he thinks he is going to live forever. He told her tonight that it was good she liked books, because maybe she would get a scholarship, and that he would help her out with tuition. That's like 16 years away. He would be 107.

The sad part is that i could sooner see him living till 107 than actually paying for all of someone's college. He is that stingy. He cuts one paper towel into four pieces, then uses one piece for days on end. I put tin foil over his dinner and then threw it in the trash can; He pulled it back out and then washed it and folded it up for later.

You can't make this shit up. Someday I'll have to write about the mountain of fast food jelly packets he was hording. Good stuff.

Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

At 9:20 PM, Blogger Nat said...

It is the Depression. I see this in Ryan's g-grandmother and my grandmother before she died was the same way. I think I can be thrifty but they are thrifty in a way that I can't even fathom.

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger StephB said...

My Grammy does that with the paper towels (and tin foil and ziplocs). She uses them once and then sets them aside for later. And, the new plan is for her to move up her in October. : )

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

I think you are right that is the depression. I think maybe he is just worse, since he was an orphan in the Depression. Let's just say that I only skimmed the surface of his hording and thriftiness.

Steph, is your Grammy going to live with your parents? What is the deal?

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger StephB said...

Yes, Grammy is getting tired so she doesn't think she wants to drive anymore. My mom is apprehensive because Grammy is 87 and her appropriate comment governor is off. She doesn't say bad words but she doesn't hold any opinions or comments back, either.

I'm in charge of finding a pool for her swimming and driving her to church (conveniently when Annika has her Sunday school) on Sundays and holy days of obligation.

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger Kristin Kong said...

Awww, such a sweet post. We are about to go visit our set of 88+ year olds this weekend. Love seeing them with the kids. Dusty's Nana used to freeze crumbs from the loaf of bread. She had all these ziplocs in the freezer labeled "crumbs". I don't get it.

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Maybe she wants to save them for dressing for Thanksgiving. That way, if she saves them all year, she won't have to buy a loaf of bread come time to make the dressing.

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger Kristin Kong said...

I think she was too cheap to buy the box of seasoned bread crumbs. Like, "crumbs", oh I already have those at the end of the loaf of bread. I mean how much can a box of crumbs be?

 
At 6:55 PM, Blogger Nat said...

whoosh--that is the wind blowing through here. [crickets chirping]
What are you doing?

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Very very slow internet. . . i am mad enough to spit nails. I do not like being separated from my one and only true love. The internet, that is.

 

Post a Comment

Tell me 'bout it, Stud. . .

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter