Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Back to School

I cannot believe that I dropped off my little Tiller for her first day of school today. Okay, not real school, but the Mommies' Morning Out program. She goes Tuesdays and Thursdays for three whole hours. She was so excited to put on her big girl backpack. Keep your traps shut about the fact that it is Rollie's hand-me-down backpack; He got a brand spanking new Diego backpack for his birthday, and it just seemed ludicrous to throw the old one out, so I just crossed out his name and put hers on the backpack. I also drew her a nifty flower to girl it up a little. Then I felt guilty for not drawing anything on Rollie's backpack, so I drew him a car. Two more fun things about being a Mom - 1) You can guilt yourself about just about anything where your kids are concerned and 2) You will need a Sharpie. Often.

Both kids got out of the van, with Todd's help. He followed us over to school for her first day, since we did it last year for Rollie's first day. Yes, Todd is the best Daddy ever. They were so cute, with backpacks and raring to go. They humored me while we took some pictures to commemorate the big event. Rollie was cracking me up, saying hello to the Pastor and to his friends from last year. We took him to his classroom first. He went right in, found his hook, hung up his backpack, and started playing. He said, "Hey guys!" when he walked in the room. Tiller followed him in at a run, with her backpack too big for her body, and mimicked big brother with a very cute, "Hey, guys!" to the big kids in Rollie's class. Luckily, she was not upset when we put her in the room with kids her own age.

We walked her down to the room, and the door was shut. She went right in, starting to play before we could get her backpack off her. We showed her where her hook was and hung up her backpack, because she wasn't able to reach the hook yet. She went right back to playing with cars. Todd and I said bye-bye, and slipped out. No tears, not even a glance.

Then I went to meet Lisa for coffee and unadulterated adult conversation (can adult conversation be unadulterated?) for over two whole straight hours. It was good. Really, really good.

Labels: , , , , ,

10 Comments:

At 9:47 AM, Blogger Dorothy Gould said...

Anne, Congratulations, two whole mornings a week where they are both out of the house. I am in the same boat, and it is quite nice. And I couldn't agree more about the guilt and the Sharpies, lots of both in my house!

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Lyle said...

Oh, that makes me sad. Tiller is growing up. But I'm glad that she took to "school" so well. Let's hope that lasts. I think Denise dropped out of Kindergarten several times before she was brave enough to stay. ;)

That's a great picture of the kids, by the way. I've been needing to update the pics in my office for awhile, and I think I'll use that one.

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Seriously, it is wonderful. And the other three, I can choose to spend with Tiller, just mom and daughter, which is nice. OR i can drop her ass into the nursery at the gym and work out. Win-win.

I know, Lyle. It was bittersweet. I can't believe that Denise was ever scared of a thing in her life. Except that Anderson Cooper is gay. That probably scares her. :-)

Let me know if you have trouble with the pic for some reason.

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger StephB said...

Those are lovely photos. x2 what Dorothy said about the Sharpies and guilt. Mike always spouted the virtues of the Sharpie, so now I'm converted.

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

LOL about Mike and Sharpies. He and Charlie kept Sharpie Comp. in business. I had like three different pieces of clothing that they Sharpied.

Sharpied. Sharpied. Sharpied.

Sounds funny when you say it over and over. Oooh, new band name. The Sharpies.

 
At 9:26 PM, Blogger Dorothy Gould said...

Thanks for the heads up on my brother, I will have to lock up the Sharpies next time he is at our house.....

 
At 8:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just discussing hand-me-downs with Kjerstin last night. On the one hand, being the 3rd boy in my own family, I understand how having to wear a 3 year old Hulk t-shirt with tar stains on it can diminish a child's self worth. But the frugal parent in me sees a potential $10 saved.

I think the equitable thing to do is to give the child receiving the hand-me-down part of the saved cash. They should receive compensation equal to the diminished value of the item. Essentially, he or she earns a pay-off for accepting damaged goods.

Not that I expect an Oldest Child, like yourself, to understand this. Just ask Lisa or Adam. ;p

- dan

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Hey, Dan! Glad to hear from you. How are those boys? We suck for not getting them together.

p.s. Stop being a whiner about hand-me-downs. You know that you wish you still had the hulk shirt. And if you think you had it bad, my friends Mike and Dorothy, who post comments here occasionally, were in a family of 8 kids. Mike was the youngest!

 
At 7:05 AM, Blogger Maigh said...

Wait just a second...Lambs!? "Welcome Lambs"?! Like, to the slaughter? *shudder*

Disclaimer: this is probably something only a non-parent would see and cringe at.

 
At 7:41 AM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

LOL! Maigh, the sad part is that I didn't even think about that. Great - now every time I drop her off, I'll be thinking "to the slaughter, to the slaughter."

 

Post a Comment

Tell me 'bout it, Stud. . .

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter