Tuesday, August 21, 2007

9.5 Miles of Torture

Didn't really have time to post about this over the weekend, as I was too consumed by the N-word incident, but I ran my longest distance yet: 9.5 miles.

The other reason I haven't posted about it is that it kinda sucked ass. I felt terrible afterwards. I ran it on the treadmill at the gym (the heat is killing me!), which sucked because I am not that fast a runner, and the treadmill is BO-RING. So, basically, i ran on a treadmill for just over two hours (yes, I am that slow), and watched teenagers attempting to play basketball with their pants down around their knees and their boxers hanging out. (Note to the Hoop Dreamers - I think Barkley etal dismissed with worrying about showing off their boxers to the girls on the bleachers and actually practiced playing basketball.) I digress.

So, yeah, the run sucked. I had plenty of water, but I definitely felt horrible after about 7 miles. And then, I am also am dealing with this new poop thing. I mean, if I run over 6.5 miles, my bowels betray me, and I have to stop to go to the bathroom. It is really not fun to run 6 miles and then go take a shit (public restroom, Jason B., public restroom!) and then get back on the treadmill and run another 3 miles. It's like the running high gets sucked right out of you. It was just horrible. And then there was like a point at about 8.5 miles, where I actually felt ill, which i haven't really run into before. I felt a little dizzy, slowed to a walk, and then had some cramps. I walked out about a quarter mile, then finished the rest of my last mile at a really slow jog. I did finish, though.

Usually, I kind of recover after I cool off and get a shower, but Saturday after that run, I was complete toast. Tired, sore, muscles aching. I was supposed to go out with girlfriends, but bailed (with many apologies! I am so sorry!) and I was in bed before ten.

So, my question for the running experts who are reading this. What am i doing wrong? I am not dehydrated. The last two times I have had to do my longer runs in the afternoon. Am i having the bowel betrayal because I have too much in my stomach? Should i be running on an empty stomach? At what point in distance does one start needing to eat something during the run? Is that what caused the awful dizzy, sick feeling?

Help me out here. I want to keep this up, because it is making me feel good, but this run was not good. A couple more like this, and I could be persuaded to Saturdays doing something else.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At 4:59 PM, Blogger Nat said...

Well it could just be a bad day.

I honestly have never had the need to poop to arise on any run but this is not to say it still couldn't happen to me. My regime of Uncle Sam's and coffee seems to resolve the issue for me prior to running. I also do not have a sensitive tummy and could probably run on a full stomach without too much issue. However I doubt I could run well on an empty stomach. I would think about food the whole time. I do know that a lot of runners do prefer to run on an empty tummy. I mean I think Steph rolls out of bed at 4 am and runs back in forther in front of her house before she eats anything.

At any rate, other than to say take pre-emptive poop measures I don't know what to tell you about the intestional attacks.

As far as the feeling like crap (pun not intended) at the end that could be a fuel thing. If you are planning on a 2 hour run then I would suggest take a gel or shot blocks around 45-60 minutes into the run. But it could also be that you just need to build up the endurance and I don't want you to shrug off that as a fueling issue as there is definitely a struggle involved in that. Once the endurance is there it won't feel like that unless you are running faster and then fuel might make a difference. I personally never used any sports foods aside from gatorade (and I never used gatorade until I trained for my first marathon) until I ran my 2nd marathon so I won't tell you that I think they are a necessity.

What I think is more important is what you are eating prior to your runs. You need complex carbs-- low in sugar --that will work like a slow fuel drip. I do wonder if your PCOS could be messing with how your body utilizes carbs for fuel. Not certain of all the biology involved but if you have insulin like issues then that could definitely be a factor in your endurance training and how to fuel. You might have to some research and experimenting to find what works best for you. In fact I would suggest that anyway.

You know I am thinking I could keep guessing here what is going on but the bottom line ultimately is that you will have to train your body to deal with the longer distances and that process isn't easy or painless. But I am willing to bet that if you do that same run in week it will be easier than the first time.

PS. Good for you for going the distance. You will do great at the SCHM!

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger Nat said...

Holy crap batman, long comment. I should have just called you.

PS I hate your word verification. It take me like 3 times to do it.

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Sorry you are a word verification retard. Guess I could take it off - for a while there i was getting spammed a lot.

Thanks for the pointers. I *think* that it just might have been a bad day. Also, i think running that much in the morning would have been far preferable. Anyway, no biggie. I am not giving up or anything.

Think i will look into the PCOS thing, just to make sure. And you know, now I can't remember what i had for lunch that day before i ran.

Also, I have a sneaking suspicion that the poop has to do with not running in the morning. Will be curious what steph says, too, as I know she has more poop issues than you do, and she might have some ideas about it.

Thanks!

 
At 6:38 AM, Blogger StephB said...

Yep, I'm the Queen of Poop.

I prefer to run in the morning to avoid the poop issue (and b/c that is when it fits in my schedule), but it is very very common amongst runners (called the "runners trots"). Check out this thread on Cool Runnings: http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/Forum11/HTML/005260.shtml

That said, I try to run at least 2 hours post-food to allow for time to poop BEFORE running. Nothing makes your run suck more than having to stop for potty - except having that problem but no potty! That said, I've had good success at the tris with 1/2 an immodium 1/2 hr prior to racing but you may need to experiment with the proper amount. Part of this issue is mental (worrying about maybe having the problem makes my tummy upset and causes the problem), but the other parts are the stress running causes on your pelvic floor and how you are made.

On the other, I think you had low fuel. Nat resists the urge to fuel and I used to also, but now I think that it is a good idea to do some fueling for a run over an hour or so - even if just some electrolyte drink. I'll post on the hotties board about fueling.

 
At 8:16 AM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Wow, thanks for the link, Steph. I think that my problem is not that bad, and I have had longer runs (7-8 miles) that didn't affect me.

I think i am going to concentrate on doing my longer runs when I have been doing them (mornings) and see if that improves things. If not, sounds like the 1/2 immodium might help matters.

It is sad that so many of those people have such terrible problems with it. I know you have suffered, too. Thanks for sharing.

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger jasonaut said...

For longer stuff, I usually work on the eat (or "ingest" is probably a more appropriate word) something every 45 minutes, alternating solid and gel.
I drink every 20 minutes.
I usually try to take care of ... elimination needs an hour or so before anything, then again, and probably one more time. I've never had to go in the middle, but I guess every body's different.
I do hardly eat anything before though, like a banana and a bagel and that's it. Then it's on to gels and clif bars.

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Awesome. Thanks for the advice. I think, after talking to steph at the pool today, that it is possible that i just had a crappy day, didn't eat enough at lunch, and then ran in the afternoon, when I am used to running in the morning.

Anyway, I'm not giving up on it, so we'll see how i do on the next long one.

 
At 4:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what the hell are gels?

P.S. Obviously I only run if someone is chasing me.

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Lisa, there is a man with a hockey mask standing behind you. run.

Gels are little calorie candies. I mean, energy candies. They are small and you take them for longer runs, to give you a boost of energy. They are like 80-100 cals, i think. Gu is one where it is like a gel, in a packet.

Steph gave me some different ones to try - you can check them out when you are using my AC next time.

 
At 1:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recommend taking a dozen Krispy Kremes and eating one per mile.

 

Post a Comment

Tell me 'bout it, Stud. . .

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter