Saturday, September 15, 2007

The Strut

That's the name of the festival in my neighborhood. I miss the days when we lived within walking distance of the village, where we could come and go throughout the day, drink as we please, and not worry about it. I also miss my nanny. Oh, wait. We've never had a nanny.

Todd and I woke up at 6 a.m., in time to grab a snack and a coffee, get the kids going, and break up a cat and dog fight, before leaving for the 5k. We thought we were running late, and we were so early that they gave us numbers 10 and 11 - Gotta love my slacker neighborhood. It was nice to be in a small race, with neighbors and people I know. It was Todd's first race, and we were both pleased with the weather, and the fact that we both beat the Dachsund running the race. It's the small things. Also, the shirt is the coolest!

I wasn't happy that we had to head over to Grant Park to get brunch, but we hit Ria's for a brunch without kids. Awesome. Love me some kid-free meals.

Afterwards, we headed back home to start the grill, put on the beans and hit the showers. My sister and Mom were around after watching the kids for the morning. (Best sister EVER for coming over at 6:15 a.m. to watch the kids.) Matt, Ned, Nessie, and Scarlett showed up, and we started the margaritas at about noon, then watched the Auburn game. (Yikes.) I listened to Larry on the radio while the kids ran around. Afterwards, mom and Lisa went home and we all went up to check out the Strut. I got an supercool, ultra cheap creepy shrinkydink necklace for 3$! And a handmade bib for my niece Luci. V. pretty.

Amazingly, i had two margaritas and one beer all day until after bringing the kids home and putting them to bed (they were pooped.) I'll be honest. I could have really tied one on. But these days, I am more likely to drive my kids safely around (okay, except for the mailman roadie incident!) and then pound some beers on the couch.

I know. Totally glamorous.

Seriously. It was a good day.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At 9:44 AM, Blogger StephB said...

Hello, race report? Photo of the shrinky-dink necklace? Inquiring minds want to know.

Yay Todd on his first race!!

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Sorry - I haven't been posting much because of my sloooooooow internet situation. It is driving me crazy, because the last thing I wanted to do was leave out the picture of the necklace, which is the cutest and most exciting thing I've gotten in a while.

Not much to report, race-wise. I didn't do very well - i felt off and uninspired the whole race. I did take almost two minutes off the time for the 5k i did last fall, but I was still disappointed. The race itself is fun - very laid-back. One bitch of a hill, which I didn't make it up, even though I know i can. The weather was great.

Next year, you and nat should come down and try to win it for the females, because the plaque you get for winning is hand painted and cute.

 
At 8:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am such a good aunt. I love it when they fight over who's going to sit next to me on the couch. :)

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

They are totally your groupies.

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger StephB said...

How about you win it for the women? A 2 min PR is nothing to disappoint!! Woo hooo! : ) The internet, well I'm with you there.

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

um, right. I can't run a sub-20 minute 5k. Especially while still losing weight. I appreciate the vote of confidence, though.

 

Post a Comment

Tell me 'bout it, Stud. . .

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter