Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Tiller: 17 Months

Tiller, you are 17 months, and I have been pretty bad about documenting your milestones. You started walking a while back and now you are on fire, hurtling forward so quickly on your not-so-steady feet that I fear you will fall face-first into whatever is in front of you. Sometimes you do, but often you recover, and I laugh at my nervous stomach afterwards. You have learned to climb stairs and just started coming back down on your own (backwards on hands and knees, of course.) Thank God, because I was getting pretty tired of coming up the stairs to rescue you at the landing when you got up there and then cried, realizing you couldn't get back down. I am amazed by the way you little ones push the envelope, exploring everything, even when you don't know what you will find, or how you will return. It is like a person choosing to fly a plane without knowing how to land, or climbing a mountain without knowing how to come back down. You are pretty fearless.

You are talking up a storm. It started very slowly, mostly "Dada." Then: "ball," "bear," "bowl." Other words: dog, kittycat, book, moon, balloon, elmo, shoe, ear, milk, hello, bye-bye. Now you are chatting us up, and the other day you said your first two-word phrase: "My Dada." You are Daddy's little girl already; I almost feel sorry for him, for he has no idea how much a little girl can love her Daddy and how much suffering she will put him through later. Most of the time, though, I just roll my eyes, because you and Rollie both prefer him to me. You would think Jesus Christ was walking through the front door every afternoon, the way everyone flips out and brightens and dances in the streets. I mean, come on, I change the poopy diapers all day, and plan the meals, and pick up your coveted damn Goldfish at the store - Show your mama some love.

I am kidding, though, because you are the lovingest thing I have ever seen. You love to hug, and kiss and get kisses. You pat us on the back when we hold you. Rollie and you have hugfests, where you hug, he kisses you on the head, and then while still locked in the hug, he drags you around until you both fall over and you hit your head on the floor. Then the tears begin, but it is hard to get mad at you guys for hugging each other so vigorously.

You are very adamant about whatever you want. At dinnertime, once you realize food is in the picture, you cling and cry and follow me around, saying "bowl" which seems to be your all-purpose word for anything having to do with food or drink. If you can get your hand on a bib or bowl or cup, you bring them to us to tell us you want to eat. Now. If I am in any part of the house and the words snack, dinner, lunch, or breakfast come out, it is all over. You are ready to be picked up and taken downstairs, or you will rush straight and with purpose into the kitchen, ready to be fed. Same thing with "outside," or "go." You hear those and go find your shoes and jacket and bring them to us, ready to be dressed for whatever journey we embark upon.

Bathtime? Bedtime? Same thing. You love the bath and you love being naked. I have no idea where you got that. :-) The only thing that makes you run for cover? The word diaper. You will run like the wind to avoid having to lay down and put on a diaper and pjs. Once we have pinned you down and dressed you for bed, though, you are all business. It is story time and you will not be swayed. You bring us your favorite books and then go walk over to the rocking chair to climb up and be read to. Right now, your favorites seem to be "Goodnight Moon" and "The Moon in My Room." You also like the Sandra Boynton books and the duck book whose name I can't remember. You sit up in our laps as we rock and read, clutching your bear, pointing out your favorite things in the books, and twirling your hair, which is what you do when you are sleepy. When we finish reading and turn out the light, we hug or talk or sing for a minute, then put you down. You start twirling your hair again, clutching the bear as we shut the door. You never make another peep.

You have a funny little laugh, and you think Daddy is the funniest, then Rollie. You like to sit with us and play games. You LOVE to dance. Sometimes we have dance parties before dinner, but often a song you like will come on the radio, or the computer or the t.v. You will start turning circles to it, then look at us with big smiles to make sure we see what you are learning to do.

We see it all, and every bit of it is as thrilling as watching Rollie do it for the first time. I just wish I had more time to treasure it all, to make sure you know how important these little milestones are, and how much prouder we are of you with every step you take.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 3:35 PM, Blogger Mike Maier said...

I'm just beginning to imagine what it will be like with a second one- this is a great picture. So many similarities with she and James at this stage though he is not so much food oriented and a little less developed with vocalizations (he is a dude with a man as care giver c'mon...)

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Not to scare you, but I think this is a pretty rosy view of what life with two is like; It just doesn't account for the feeling of having two extensions of your self walking around, usually in opposite directions, as you exhaust yourself trying to keep everyone out of harm's way. I haven't brushed my teeth today. It is 4:15 pm.

Both my kids are very food-motivated, so i don't really have the problem of trying to get them to eat, like a lot of parents do. Tiller is so much more developed vocally than Rollie was at the same age. I think there really is something to the girls talking earlier than boys thing. Also, the second one hears more conversation than the first one. I don't know if you recall, but I can be pretty quiet and I used to beat myself up for not talking enough to Rollie when he was Tiller's age. Turns out they talk when they are ready, but the second one, no matter the sex, will get to hear the first one talk. All. The.Time. Definite advantage there. On the flip side, they don't get to explore as much independently as the first one did. they spend a lot of time being bossed around, and having the older sibling do things for them, hand them things, etc.

I forget how close in age Tiller and James are - we need to get them together! Come back!

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger Dorothy Gould said...

Annie, Thanks for the update, I love that picture of Tiller, so sweet. My Michael and Emily just turned 16 ms., so I was happy to hear that backing down the stairs is right around the corner. We are right now in the "getting stranded" stage. Tiller's vocabulary is awesome. Mine understand whatever you ask/tell them, but we only have Mama and Dada so far. And for the record, I think you are doing a great job of documenting. One day they will be laughing hysterically at what you have written about them in your blog.

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger Dogwood Girl said...

Well, when I say she is learning backing down the stairs, it is a sometimes thing. Sometimes she still stands and wants to be carried. As far as the documenting - I am sure they are already printing it out when I am not looking, hiding it in a binder under the bed, and planning to show it to their therapist in about 25 years.

 

Post a Comment

Tell me 'bout it, Stud. . .

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter